Best external display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nick7138, Jul 17, 2011.

1. nick7138 macrumors member

I have a 2010 13" MBP and I'm looking for a good external display for casual gaming, watching videos, and some coding. I would like it to be at least 24", but I could go down lower, if necessary. The display must be LED backlit, Full HD, and an IPS panel is strongly preferred. Also, a built in speaker is an added plus, but not a necessity. My budget is around $400 and I would like to keep it as low as possible. I have taken a look at several displays from Apple, Samsung, Dell, LG, and Asus, and I can't seem to decide which one would be the best. Which do you think is the best? :confused:

2. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Personally I have been very happy with the ultrasharp displays from Dell. No built in speakers but you can always get a soundbar from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. nick7138 thread starter macrumors member

I took a look at them, but don't some of them have backlight bleeding and other issues?

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I have a Dell U2410 IPS Panel with no issues at all. 1200p resolution with 16:10 ratio as well. Im still debating on selling it and getting a new 27" ACD however.

5. Akira81386 macrumors newbie

I also have a Dell U2410 and it's the best monitor I've ever owned. There is a plethora of inputs, and I use it both for my 2010 13' MBP and my PS3. The apple monitors are great but are so pricey. I got my monitor for $325, and it has performed perfectly.

6. Jmouse macrumors 6502

I too looking at buying a new monitor, last monitor works well for 5 years.

Im looking at a few ones here. Hopefully some of you will have the knowledge to assist me on which one to buy.

Also do i get LED or LCD ? I would like this monitor to be able to play my xbox / ps3 as well as a external monitor for my laptops/pc.

LG TV monitor M2362D $279
    Dell U2311 23" $222
    Dell U2410 24" $530
    Apple cinema display $1200 , again too expensive for what it is. ( are they really that Good? )

Thanks alot.

7. CHSeifert, Jul 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Sorry to Sound like mac fanboy :p but get the Apple LED 27" CinemaDisplay. It's gorgeous and sexy :)

New models are coming very soon with thunderbolt. Only minus is the glossy front.

Just get it :apple:

8. nick7138 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip! I wonder how I missed this one one Dell's website? Anyway, where did you get it for that price? Dell lists it for $599, so it would be nice to know where I could get it for about half the price. Thanks for the help!

9. nutmac macrumors 68040

I have Dell U2410 too and I have few criticisms.
    • Poor quality control. My company standardized on U2410 for most employees and there are some distinct differences between samples. Some suffer from banding issue, some look fuzzier than others, and some have busted DVI connect that displays static images every few minutes. Fortunately, Dell has very good return policy but it is something to watch out for.
    • User interface. The menu driven interface is absolutely frustrating to use. On one hand, it is something you will use only once in awhile, but if you have multiple input sources, you will have to tinker with it constantly (no auto input selection).
    • No OS X support. Well, OS X supports it and in fact, even has color profile for it. But you cannot use the OS to change brightness like you can with Apple's Cinema Displays.
    • Pixel density. This is not necessarily an issue with the monitor per say, but due to its 94 pixels per inch (PPI) density, text will carry on the fuzzy appearance associated with OS X's font smoothing feature (much less noticeable on Apple's 27" LED Cinema Display at 109 PPI).
    • No mini DisplayPort. For Macs, you will need to purchase mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort, mini DP to HDMI, or mini DP to DVI. Not the end of the world, but an additional purchase nevertheless.

10. jenzjen macrumors 68000

Had 3 U2410s and have swore by Dell LCDs since mid 2000s but tried out a 27 ACD once Apple removed restocking fees and kicked myself for not trying it sooner. Sold all 3 Dell in favor of 2 ACD.

11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Please dont tell me this :(

12. peanuthead macrumors member

Where can one get U2311 for $222?

13. nick7138 thread starter macrumors member

I agree lol. I'm dying to have that display, but $999 is just narrowly over my $750-850 budget. If only it came down $100 or so, then I'd buy it in a second.

14. nick7138 thread starter macrumors member

Where did you get these prices? They're either too low or too high. Where did you find a Cinema Display for $200 over retail price?

15. jenzjen macrumors 68000

The 27 ACD is 850 in the Apple refurbished store, or if you're close to a physical Apple store, just buy one. Since there are no restocking fees, if you don't like it, you can return it no hassle. I was worried about glare but proved to be a complete non issue for my setup.

Wait a week or 2, though, as there are rumors of a ACD refresh.

16. nutmac macrumors 68040

You can get Apple LED Cinema Display (27") for about $850 refurb. And I am willing to bet that with a new model (with Thunderbolt) hitting the store this or next week, older models will see some discount.

17. nick7138 thread starter macrumors member

The problem is my budget is very strict. While I can go to maybe $900, I don't think $999 is in my range. Regarding refurbished and older models, I plan on getting this towards the end of next month. If they release new models this week, I don't know if they'd have any more of the older models in stock or any refurbished models of the new displays. Also, I have never purchased a refurbished product before, so can anyone comment on the condition of their refurbished Apple product?

18. nick7138 thread starter macrumors member

I may have just found the solution to my problem! On the Apple refurbished website, they list the older 24" refurbished model for just $599, well within my range. I may just go with that one, but I'll have to see my exact budget next month and if they even have it. Thanks for the idea on refurbished products nutmac, it really helped me out!

19. BiggAW macrumors 68020

+1. I splurged for the 23" Ultrasharp, and I absolutely love it. The stand is great, I can adjust for a better position, in the dark, the monitor just floats there. 23" is a great size, can do two things side by side, and still have the MBP's display for a third as needed. If I was feeling really spendy, a 27" or 30" Dell would be sweet. Dell makes the best monitors with the best design, pricing, the whole package. I think all the monitors in my house are Dell. Wouldn't buy anything else, whether for Mac or PC.

The only weird part is that I have to turn the brightness almost all the way down, as otherwise the thing would give me a monitor tan!

20. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I bought my MBP refurb and it was identical to new minus a retail box. Same warranty. I'll only buy refurb due to my positive experience.

21. nick7138 thread starter macrumors member

Seems like you really seemed to like it! I think I'm going to go with the refurbished 27" model. While it's at the very edges of my budget, it also includes speakers in all. Now my only concern is with the new model coming out tomorrow. Would they continue to sell the the current model refurbished at a lower price or will they just sell the newer refurbished model. I guess I'll have to wait and see next month. Thanks for that tip, though! It really made my day! :D