Best External Drive for Blu-Ray Burner

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kobyh15, Mar 14, 2012.

1. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for a nice, relatively cheap external blu-ray drive. I want to rip my blu-rays to my MacBook Pro to distribute to my new iPad. Also, any software that I will need? Are the file sizes too big? Or should I just stick with buying content off of iTunes? I like physical discs because I can play them anywhere and the quality is still better than what is being distributed on iTunes. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Found this on Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/DIGISTOR-External-Blu-ray-Burner-Tray/dp/B002SY5GRS

File sizes are going to run you anywhere from 700MB-4.7GB depending on the format, but you'll need to do it in something the iPad can play. Actually, I guess you can get an App from the iTS that will play MKV, etc., but with VLC gone I'm not sure what the best options are out there.

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

theres a free app in MAS that i forget the name but its in the top free section and it converts video files to the proper format for mobile devices(iPad, iphone, etc) that might help you.

you might still need addition software like handbrake to rip the dvd to mkv or m4v but this other program should than help convert for the iPad

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Think they're looking for a Blu-Ray drive, not DVD.

5. kobyh15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'd like to have a blu-ray external drive. I have quite a few blu-rays already and will probably continue to buy more. I just don't know if I want to be tied to iTunes to play all of my movies. I feel like having physical discs is more flexible. You can take them to other people's houses, etc. I found some at OWC that seem pretty reasonable. Would I be able to get these into iTunes so that I could stream them directly from my new Apple TV? Or would I have to just get them on my iPad and use Air Play?