Best external drive for me

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joeg39, Sep 22, 2015.

1. joeg39 macrumors newbie

Hi I'm new to these forums and this is my first post here!
    I've been using Windows 8.1 on my rMBP 13" 2015 using Parallels for a while now but I'm thinking of moving the .pvm file onto an external drive in order to save space on the macbook. I've already tried using a standard USB external drive but obviously that was too slow to boot from!

What type of external drive do you guys recommend? USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. I would prefer a SSD but I don't want to spend too much money.

Thanks for any advice :)
    Joe

2. MSastre macrumors regular

MSastre

Check OWC for either Thunderbolt or USB 3 drives ... very good selection of options in capacity, dependent on your needs. They have a nice little SSD thumbdrive with 240 gb as well.

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

How large is your Windows pvm file? How large a drive (physically) is acceptable and will you want the drive portable and getting power from your laptop or external power source? I only ask as it makes it easier to provide you with info that is relevant to your original question.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

At work, I have a LaCie thunderbolt/USB3 1TB external hooked up to my MBPr to use as a Time Machine Drive. I like that there is only one cable for it.

5. joeg39 thread starter macrumors newbie

The pvm file is around 77GB and I'm not too fussed about the size. Preferably I'd like one that I can easily carry in my laptop bag and I would rather it uses the laptop's power supply :)

6. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have a couple Touro Mobile 1 TB 3.0 USB that were reasonable in cost ($60 or 70 CDN?) and have worked well for my mobile needs. They are quick since they are USB 3.0, lightweight and small in size. Have had them for about 1 year now with no issues.

They will not boot as fast as a Thunderbolt or SSD by any means, but they are the quickest option I think you have otherwise.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I would gather it is a matter of budget. A 128 gig external SSD TBolt connected would be ideal with SSD USB3 (make sure it is able to use the adopted scsi calls in the faster enclosures).

Back when I got a Firmtek USB3 enclosure and put an SSD drive in it. It was by far the fastest external drive I have used. The only catch is that the Firmtek all metal enclosure is not petite by any means. I usually keep it now at home for backups. I read about the enclosure, if I recall correctly, at the Bare Feats site.