Best External Drive for the new MBA without Design Flaw

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by alamgirian6329, Nov 14, 2010.

1. alamgirian6329 macrumors newbie

What would you guys recommend the best External DVD drive for MBA to keep ? The apple slim drive for MBA has very poor feedback on apple site, $79 its somewhat of a steep price to pay for a device WITHOUT emergency eject, esp. if it gets stuck on an airport while travelling (say I shut my comp. down and tossed it in the case in a hurry along with the drive and CD/DVD runngin in it), I hear that the jam is perm. and cant get the disk out since it has no emergency eject.

Any other brands that ppl have used ? Good price, but MORE importantly thin profile and relative nicer look to go with the air.

2. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

3. astrorider macrumors 6502

I used a Velocity Micro Blu-ray drive (reads Blu-ray, writes DVD) that only used one USB for power/data. I'd recommend it, but it died a day or so ago, a little less than 1 year after purchase. Anyway, there are drives out there that don't need two USB ports.

4. anthonyd macrumors newbie

Some drives have two USB cables simply to allow for variety of computer USB ports with different power deliveries.

I got a Blu-ray burner from eBay that comes with two USB cables, but my MBP 15 and a Dell Mini 10 (I don't have it anymore) were able to burn blu-ray and DVD discs without needing the second USB cable plugged in.

5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I've been using my Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive - in fact, the only time I used it was to install Windows. Don't plan in ever using it but hey - its good for emergencies. I picked it up for £20 with 3 HD-DVD's when they (HD-DVD) lost the battle with blu-ray.

p.s. the only downside to this drive is that it doesn't burn to disc, it only reads.