Best External Drive for USB 2.0 + Thunderbolt Devices

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jason.siegel, Dec 17, 2012.

1. jason.siegel macrumors 6502

I am looking to get an external hard drive on which to store Blu-Ray movies, primarily. Currently, I own a 1st generation Time Capsule (USB 2.0), to which I would be connecting the drive. I also own a mid-2011 Air (USB 2.0 + Thunderbolt), which I do not wish to connect directly for everyday use. Obviously, at some point I will be upgrading to newer devices that support USB 3.0.

I don't have much use for a Thunderbolt external drive; the extra expense is not worth it to me. Should I get a USB 3.0 drive? Is there a USB 3.0-to-Thunderbolt adapter so that I can get higher transfer rates if connected to my Air? If not, should I get a USB 3.0 + Firewire drive, plus an adapter? Is there another solution I have not yet thought of, should I decide I want speeds faster than USB 2.0? (Obviously, there is USB 2.0 only, but if the cost differential is marginal, I should probably get 3.0 for future use.)

Amazon has some USB 3.0 1TB drives for about $80.

Thanks.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I see no future is purchasing a USB 2 version of anything that has a USB 3 version. You can always plug USB 3 devices into USB 2 networks.....and expect USB 2 performance.

You need to decide if streaming movies from a USB 2 drive works for you. If not, then you likely need to step up to thunderbolt drives.