Best External DVD Burner for Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by atomicshark, Jun 15, 2009.

1. atomicshark macrumors member

I just bought a new iMac with Mac OS X 10.5 and I wanted to build my own external USB 2.0 DVD burner.

I've heard that people have had problems, but I was wondering if anyone had any success with any specific drive?

I'm trying not to spend too much. I was hoping to buy an internal drive and external case from Newegg.com. Problem is that it is very hard to find any Mac compatibility info.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

I just got a LaCie external burner. Like literally, it got here Friday. I guess you can cheaper burners but so far it's performed beautifully (and it looks great on my desk too).

3. cube macrumors G5

A Super Multi Blu. Then you can read/write also DVD-RAM and Blu Ray, even if you can't watch Blu Ray movies.

4. atomicshark thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! That is basically the set-up i was thinking about buying.

Have you had any issues? Does Leopard restrict you in anyway, like iDVD problems etc.?

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I don't think it does CD Text from iTunes, but that's about it.

6. atomicshark thread starter macrumors member

The LaCie drive is great. Too bad it costs so much. I guess you get what you pay for.:)

7. atomicshark thread starter macrumors member

That's not too bad. I'd probably use it mainly for data back-up. Thanks again!

8. atomicshark thread starter macrumors member

Update:

I bought a Macally external USB 2.0 case and Samsung 22x DVD burner from Newegg.com. Total cost: $60.98 plus shipping (I bought a few other things too, so I don't know what the shipping would have been for only those 2 items.).

I got it today. It works perfectly!

Apple recognizes it in the system profiler. It can burn DVD-Rs up to 22x. Oddly, Toast claims that it can only burn at 16x. Either way, it's still at least twice as fast as the anemic 8x drive inside the iMac.

I guess Apple did change its policy towards third party burners.