Best External DVD Drive??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marc55, Jun 21, 2014.

1. marc55, Jun 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

We occasionally watch movies when we go camping, and would like to get a decent External Blue-Ray/DVD Drive for a rMBP.

DVD Drive might be fine for now, but eventually Blue-Ray movies will become the norm, so I'm thinking I might as well just get the Blue-Ray capability now.

From what I've read, I guess I will need to get Blue-Ray software for the MBP?

So, what External DVD Drive have you found to be the best, and what Blue-Ray Drive and software have you found to be the best?

Thank you

2. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

3. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I use a DVD drive... I went to Amazon and picked one of the higher rated ones. 4+ stars over a few hundred reviews. That's good enough for me. If I remember correctly it was around $30 - $40.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Just use whatever fits your needs, budget and has good review. There is no "best" drive. Most of the components all come from the same factory.

AFAIK, blu-ray will not play on OS X regardless whether your drive supports it or not. It will if you install windows through bootcamp though (this may have changed recently, but last time I checked, this was the case).

5. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

I rip my blu-rays to a manageable file size on my desktop, then I load a bunch of movies on a 16GB usb drive. Way more portable than lugging around a clunky old disc drive.

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I use an Apple USB SuperDrive and it does the job well. I burn a lot of DVDs for video projects and it hasn't died with a couple of hundred burns on it now...