Best external hard drive exclusively for my iTunes library?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stormypenguin, Jul 11, 2008.

1. stormypenguin macrumors member

Alright. I have approximately 250gb of music currently on a Western Digital. Here are the supposed specs of the device - WD 750GB / 7200RPM / 9 ms Seek Time / 16mb Cache Drive OEM. It's currently formatted in NTFS.

But I seem to be having a tremendous amount of trouble using it with iTunes. What I did was just add all the files and folders to iTunes to read directly from the drive. However... After adding everything, it is EXTREMELY slow going. I get the twirly rainbow every time I try to scroll down the list.

Am I using the wrong type of drive?

Thank you. :)

2. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

Just a couple things with WD drives. I use one, but not for an iTunes library.

I can tell you that WD drives do go to sleep. That can be a pain when trying to use it a lot because it will go to sleep when you stop using it and then it has to wake back up to be used again.

Also, you might want to consider reformatting it to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)." That can solve a lot of problems and make it easier to use.

My wife had her external formatted incorrectly and it started giving us LOTS of problems, but after I formatted it correctly, it's working like a charm.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I use a MyBook Studio and it's formatted as HFS+; formatting as a NTFS drive doesn't change how fast it is at all. I don't know if it's possible or not, but did you turn off drive caching?

4. stormypenguin thread starter macrumors member

I have no idea how to turn it off, or whether that's possible...

Does anyone have any reccommendations as to what drive would be better suited for this type of application?

PS - the only reason the drive is in NTFS is because I neglected to format it for Mac before I put everything on it from ym PC. :)

5. bigrobb macrumors 6502a

I have a western digital one it works great it is a 1tb hard drive. does anyone know if there is a way to have all your movies on hd and all your music on another or is that not possible.