Best External Hard Drive for Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgershon02, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mgershon02 macrumors newbie

So I am already running out of space on my 120gb macbook, so I am looking to get an external hard drive. What are the best ones to get if you are going to be using it as almost a second hard drive not just a backup. I want to run vista off of it along with fusion. Any suggestions would be great.

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Why not just upgrade your internal drive to a larger one? That's your easiest solution.

But if you are looking for external drives (or internal ones), I highly recommend the ones from OWC.

eshop.macsales.com

3. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Whatever you get, don't get a WD MyBook. Even though my boss has one and his works fine, i've had to get mine replaced since it came with a faulty firewire cable out of the box (got that RMA'd) then the power adapter died about 2 weeks ago, leaving me without my hardware until I had to pony up 280 dollars collateral for them to ship me out new components.

I did use a Lacie a while back, and its was pretty rock solid. I also have a 1Tb hitatchi that works and is bootable.

4. mgershon02 thread starter macrumors newbie

looking at the neptune from owc and it looks pretty good, just one question, what does bootable mean?

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

That means you can load an OS (Operating System like MacOSX) on it and boot from it.

6. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Sorry that was an ambiguous statement on my part. All external hard drives (Firewire, USB) should be bootable on intel based macs. I stated it for reassurance :D

7. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

does upgrading the hard drive, not through apple, void the apple care if it crashes?

( prob a stupid question but thought i would ask)

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If the HDD crashed you'd lose a drive and not much else. Maybe if it was a failure the HDD manufacturer with cover it; Apple will only cover the original drive.

9. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85