Best External Hard Drive for....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Epic Xbox Revie, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Going to college in a month, I would like to purchase a small, portable, 500GB+ Hard Drive that I will be able to stow away when I am not using it... I plan on weekly or bi-weekly time machine backups to protect all of my data and files. Question is what it the most reliable, space efficient, fastest data speed, and most cost efficient for me and my MBP. Thanks!!!

2. Darius Aziz macrumors member

Darius Aziz

Just my 2c, but RUN AWAY from the WD mypassport etc. I purchased one, and was given one. I always treated them well, never dropped them, hardly ever left my desk. Yet under a year they were clicking and not responding anymore.

Others might have had good experiences, I stay away from WD now.

3. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

And what do you favor?:rolleyes:

4. Darius Aziz macrumors member

Darius Aziz

Well I am learning towards a drive swapper of some sort and picking up some Seagate drives, or possibly one of the G-Drives, they seem very solid.

5. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

6. Darius Aziz macrumors member

Darius Aziz

Why only 500g? I mean 1TB+ is pretty affordable right now, just partition it partially for back up, and the rest you have extra storage.

7. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I have several 2.5" and 3.5" Western Digital HD's. None of them have failed yet. I even use 2 of them in my home security DVR which has been running 24/7 for 3 year with no failures. Any hard drive can fail at any time no matter what brand. It's the luck of the draw I say..

8. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

9. Epic Xbox Revie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

On Amazon, along with other websites, WD does seem to have problems rather commonly, much more than any other HDD that I've seen.. I'll definitely consider WD though because they seem to have large capacities for the lowest price, for a big company.

10. lilgorski04 macrumors newbie

i was thinking about getting this one.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hard-Drive-Enclosures/15222297

Only $50 and has 500 gb...plus the reviews seem pretty solid and it is a goflex so when seagate comes out with the thunderbolt adapter, should be good to go. I hope..i haven't decided myself yet for my air lol