best external hard drive to host all files

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iSaygoodbye, Feb 19, 2009.

1. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

Im going to be buying a external hard drive that i will use to host all my videos and music. What is the best external hard drive for this that is windows xp compatible

2. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

pretty much all external hard drives can be formatted how you wish, and I would use FAT32 for mac osx - windows xp inter-operability.

I recommend Seagate, simply because I have both an external seagate and I replaced my macbook pro's internal with a seagate, but I'm sure others will recommend brands such as Western Digital. a bigger concern is, what size and speed do you want? do you want a "portable" external or one that uses its own power supply (and probably faster speed)?

3. iSaygoodbye thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

it doesnt need to be portable im gonna use it as a replacement for my internal. i need at least 320 gb

4. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

search Mroogle for "external hard drive" and you will get hundreds of threads asking the exact same thing.

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Get the biggest. 1TB no less. Only costs a few bucks more. 1.5 TB not really worth it at the moment in value for money.

If you're doing video editing, get one with a firewire interface. Firewire is better for moving big files around.

For best futureproofing, get a triple interface - FW, USB and ESATA. Costs a bit more.

Best value for money? 1TB with USB only.