Best External Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by neurophysicist, Nov 9, 2011.

1. neurophysicist, Nov 9, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2011

neurophysicist macrumors member

Hello,

My old WD 250 drive I had used for years to backup my G5 (and now my 2011 MBP) is no longer useful (I have over 250GB of things on my MBP).

What is the best deal for reliability/price etc. for an external 1 TB HDD with firewire800? Buyer experience would be nice. Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Also, does anyone have advice as far as the best external cases for 15 MBP? I read some bad reviews about the hardshell incase. Does anyone have experience with Speck? https://www.speckproducts.com/macbook-pro-seethru.html

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. neurophysicist thread starter macrumors member

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Rotation speed is only one performance consideration. Some 5400 drives are faster than some 7200 drives because their density is higher. If the drives are identical in other respects, the 7200 should be noticeably faster.

5. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Same here, I have been using one of these for almost 2 years

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

My girlfriend has the clear one and it keeps the computer safe, but man is it a dust magnet. She has to take it off at least once a month to clean out the dust and crap around the edges. I also think that it adds a bit of weight to the top half which weakens the hinge a bit over time.

7. emaja macrumors 68000

+1 for OWC drives. Used them for years without issue. Great guys to deal with too.

8. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Is it too much to ask for a hard drive case be made out of wood so it will match my desk :D

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios