Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lotsofstuff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
So I've looked into several companies to buy an external hard drive from, but I can't seem to find anything that seems to make one company better than the next. If I'm looking for a external hard drive 2-3TB, almost exclusively used on a mac, and in the $100-200 price range, what would you recommend? I have found several drives with similar specs and prices, but they're all from different companies. So, which do you recommend?

(oh, it isn't of the utmost important, but I'd like it to maybe have firewire 800, or at least can transfer things fairly fast)

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
The most reliable hard drive is the one that is backup the most frequently. Other than that, they are all about the same.

DustinT

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2011
Honestly, just get one with the interface options you need and a good cooling system.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
actually, it appears that the insides are all pretty similar, so i doubt it matters much. one suggestion, though. keeping all of your backups in one place will not do much good in case of fire or theft. i'd recommend buying a couple of the portable ones (i am partial to the western digital passports) and storing them in separate physical locations (car, office, parent's house, etc.).

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
In no particular order, and while in agreement with messages being shared in previous posts here, my preferences are: Lacie, Glyph, Buffalo, and G-Technology... Iomega has an attractive model also. Sweetwater Music has very good prices during their sales, btw.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
buy your own hard drive and enclosure.

from personal experience and reading around, I would avoid Lacie and WD external drives. Lacie products look nice but seem to have high failure rates, while WD enclosures like to fail (hard drives are fine). for me, G-Tech is proving to be more reliable, so far, and the enclosure is the easiest to open if you want to swap in a different drive in the future.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
buy your own hard drive and enclosure.

from personal experience and reading around, I would avoid Lacie and WD external drives. Lacie products look nice but seem to have high failure rates, while WD enclosures like to fail (hard drives are fine). for me, G-Tech is proving to be more reliable, so far, and the enclosure is the easiest to open if you want to swap in a different drive in the future.

I'm looking forward to get G-Tech hard drive. However, do you know what kind of hard drive do they use?
Thanks

Gillespie81

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
Minnesota
i have the g-drive mobile fw and it is hitachi. I'm not sure but i think all g-drives are hitachi portable and mobile. i plan on getting a desk setup soon but I'm waiting to see what happens with tb in the next few months

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
In no particular order, and while in agreement with messages being shared in previous posts here, my preferences are: Lacie, Glyph, Buffalo, and G-Technology... Iomega has an attractive model also. Sweetwater Music has very good prices during their sales, btw.

None of these companies make hard drives. They make enclosures and stick whatever drive they can get at a steep discount inside them.

JerZyT28

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
I just bought a goflex freeagent 1tb yesterday...not bad for the price...just need to upgrade to the firewall 800 cable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.