Best External HD for new MacBook Air? Thunderbolt?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by bob99, Jul 20, 2011.

1. bob99 macrumors member

So, the new MacBook Airs are out. Sweet! We've all been waiting a long time for this :)

I want to get an external HD for my new MBA, but what's the best BUS powered USB2 drive to pair this with? I don't need it immediately, would it be better to wait for a Thunderbolt-powered 1TB drive? Any idea when those babies will be coming out?

I'd like something sleek and small that matches the MBA. I know Western Digital has some good looking slim drives, but none of them are Thunderbolt yet.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

Bob

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There are no TB drives yet other than Promise's Pegasus which starts from $999. There are many good 2.5" drives but personally I prefer LaCie.

3. bob99 thread starter macrumors member

I find a lot of the LaCie drives to be too chunky / boxy. I've got a few of their 3.5" external drives, but they don't have anything slim enough.

This 1TB WD seems to match the aluminum look of the air, and the capacity is good:
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=450

4. Duke15 macrumors 6502

Duke15

Any good one, and slim ones that have firewire?

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Hitachi gdrive mini

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

The Promise 12 Terabyte RAID system should work just fine ;)

7. Sarsay macrumors newbie

8. Kafka macrumors 6502

Owned one for 2 or 3 days and returned it. The so called aluminum is so cheap it feels plasticky, 320gb is too low, and it's missing FW for when/if you use it with another Mac.
    Can't tell about performance but whatever, it's USB2 only so it's slow anyway.
    Buy only if slimness is a must for you, I prefer my Rugged drives also from Lacie that I can mistreat all I want.

If you don't care about USB only, I've seen these in a store once and they look nice. Lacie regularly tries offering externals with a built-in cable and I appreciate that.

It's a real pity there's nothing for the MBA somewhere between the slow/cheap USB2 and the ultra-fast/expensive/nonexistent TB.

9. go4theko macrumors member

in the same boat. Guess we'll just have to wait for a TB enabled drive or a TB to firewire converter