Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jaeshellz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Hey guys, i've read some posts about how important it is to backup your files and i have yet to do so and i've had my first mac (12inch g4 pb) for about a year and half.

So i was wondering, what is the best hd i can get without paying an arm and a leg. Simply to backup my files and also to put my movies and music so my powerbook can have some free space.

I'm pretty much a newbie in the aspect of external hd's so please feel free to school me on it, thanx guys.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
i love my lacie.. why do people say they are loud,i barely notice when its on. But search the forums there's almost a billion thread on this

jaeshellz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
Lacie, huh? What size is yours? and are externals hd's reasonably loud?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
I have an OWC Mercury Pro, and it's only as loud as the drive inside, which for the two complete ones I bought from them, is very quiet, but the drive I bought separately is LOUD.

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
I recommend LaCie as well. I'm a happy owner of a 500GB one myself.
Depending of your storage needs and portability you have two options.

1. A portable 2.5" disk, which dont need an external power supply.
You get them up to 100GB (or maybe 120).
Example: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10558

2. A desktop 3.5" disk, which need an external power supply.
They come in all kind of sizes and shapes, from 80GB to 2TB.
Example: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10059

Perhaps you can tell us a bit more what you need and your budget?

jaeshellz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
hey Solaris, okay well i make beats. I'm into music production so besides that i also have alot of music albums that take up alot of space on my Powerbook so i just wanted something to throw all the stuff i have on my pb into an external hd. As for as price range, i could probably go to 200, maybe a lil more. Just something really simple that i could use as storage and back up my files that won't crash.

school me people, u guys are smarter than I am..

lanray

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2005
2nd the Lacie

I have a 160GB Lacie external HD, and I like it. I don't notice the noise of it, really. My PB is louder with the fan blowing. Heck, the highway outside is louder than the HD. Anyways. No problems, nice drive.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
solaris said:
1. A portable 2.5" disk, which dont need an external power supply.
You get them up to 100GB (or maybe 120).
Example: http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10558

I'm looking at outfitting a mobile video editing station myself, and wondering... what's the most storage you can get in a group of bus-powered drives? this includes daisy-chaining and doing a RAID array. I'd by plugging the PowerBook into a cigarette lighter power inverter so battery drain is a moot point. I know the manufacturers say that daisy chained drives need external power sources to operate, but can you at least chain 2 together and have them operate properly? 300 GB of storage doesn't really cut it for hardcore editing.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Just got my second WD hard drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=107

Haven't had any problems, and it comes with Retrospect Express, which has served my backup needs. The brushed aluminum finish and the blue power light look really cool next to a PB as well.:)

This one's not firewire, though, so that might be something you'd want to consider.

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
If you're only backing up your PB hard drive and don't need any extra storage, an 80-100GB external hard drive can be had for pretty cheap. Just make sure to get a firewire drive, that way if your internal hard drive ever crashes you can boot from the external.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
BlueRevolution said:
I'm looking at outfitting a mobile video editing station myself, and wondering... what's the most storage you can get in a group of bus-powered drives? this includes daisy-chaining and doing a RAID array. I'd by plugging the PowerBook into a cigarette lighter power inverter so battery drain is a moot point. I know the manufacturers say that daisy chained drives need external power sources to operate, but can you at least chain 2 together and have them operate properly? 300 GB of storage doesn't really cut it for hardcore editing.
Eh?
There is no way in the world I would try putting together a buss powered drive RAID...
1) If you have a power inverter, power the drives directly.
2) If you value your data, don't do RAID, esp. not buss powered....!!
3) If you have a power inverter, use desktop drives. If you are using desktop drives, you could choose a LaCie or other brand that has built-in hardware RAID with 2 drives in one case.
4) If you are concerned with sustained capture rates, don't put the camera and the drive on the same Firewire buss... there's like, no point in RAIDing a single FW 400 or 800 port when you are also streaming DV through the same controller chip, so get a PC Card Firewire 800 interface for the drives.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
EZQuest

Heya - I have two (one for work and one for home). One is the Lacie 500GB. It was a refurb and the price was right.

But, my favorite is the EZQuest hard drive. Why?

1) Polycarbonite shell - it's sturdy, it's pretty, and it takes a banging.
2) Ball-bearing fan. None of this "relying on the aluminum to spread out the heat" garbage. ;)
3) It has two Firewire ports so I can daisy-chain if I need to.

You definitely want Firewire so you can make a bootable drive (comes in handy when your internal drive fails.)

The newest version of SuperDuper is wonderful!

But, don't forget - even if you do a daily backup, you still want to back up to DVD every once in a while so you have true fall-back points.

Good luck!

jaeshellz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2004
thanks for the info...

I don't think i can back up onto DVD cause my powerbook is a regular combo drive, not super drive.

Looks like i might purchase a Lacie. What other external HD's have firewire support?

ilnyckyj

macrumors member
May 4, 2005
Get either a Lacie drive, or even better, buy a nice seagate drive, and put it in an external enclosure.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/NPFW7160GB/
That should suit your backup needs more than adequately. It's FireWire 400, which is bootable, (FW800 adds cost and since the 12" PB doesn't have it...)

CanadaRAM said:
2) If you value your data, don't do RAID, esp. not buss powered....!!
Er, I assume you mean RAID 0, which is striping only, so if one drive goes down, you can kiss your data goodbye. RAID 1 (and others) are mirroring, which duplicate the data on multiple drives for safety.
Wiki Clicky

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
I have a Lacie 30GB USB and a Lacie 160GB Firewire.

The former I can barely hear and only when the drive is spinning; the latter I always hear, even when the drive is not spinning. I find the high pitch of the noise to be extremely annoying.

I agree with ilnyckyj: buy a seagate and put it in a nice external enclosure.

MatthewCobb

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Manchester, UK
No noise LaCie

Synapple said:
I have a a Lacie 160GB Firewire [...] I always hear, even when the drive is not spinning. I find the high pitch of the noise to be extremely annoying.

I have the same, but no problem, no high pitch noise, no complaints - highly recommended. Looks like there's some variability! Main point is get a disk with Firewire 400 with two ports. And then to BACK UP REGULARLY!

Synapple

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2004
Rome, Italy
MatthewCobb said:
I have the same, but no problem, no high pitch noise, no complaints - highly recommended. Looks like there's some variability! Main point is get a disk with Firewire 400 with two ports. And then to BACK UP REGULARLY!

Yes, there is indeed some variability! Some friends of mine have the exact same drives and reported that they are not noisy at all... at least, not to the degree where they would find them annoying.

Totally agree on the Firwire 400 with two ports advice :)

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
redAPPLE said:
the 1 tb lacie is LOUD.

(words cannot express how loud).

Quite right! I own one and it is terrible.

Now, some people in this thread are taking what many of us have said about the 1TB drive and applying that to ALL La Cie drives. That's not the case. Myself and others have only been harping about the 1TB drive.

FWIW I have two 2.5" La Cie portables that I use on my PB - a 40GB and an 80GB - and they are both fine and quiet and I have no hesitation recommending those drives.

With regards to the La Cie 1TB drive my advice is plain and simple. DO NOT BUY ONE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.