Best external HDD file format for Windows/Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 827538, Jun 6, 2018.

1. 827538 macrumors 65816

Looking at setting up a Mybook Duo in RAID 1 (10TB | 2x10TB) to use as my backup. Needs to be able to read/write with both Mac and Windows, I was thinking exFAT. Has anyone had experience with this?

Thanks

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

I'm always a bit apprehensive about using any FAT file format. FAT by its nature is a non journaling file format and is more suseptible to errors than a journaling file format. You could format the MyBook as NTFS and install something like Paragon NTFS for Mac. Just a suggestion.

3. 827538 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I am a bit apprehensive to use FAT as well. It’s fine for SD cards and USB sticks but I don’t know if I trust it to hold huge amounts of important data.

Why couldn’t Apple and Microsoft just agree on one standard?

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Why would they? Linux also has a different File System. Microsoft wouldn't change their File System to suit Apple and vice versa. None of them are interested in paying royalties.

Just use Paragon NTFS for Mac, it's brilliant.

5. Sovon Halder macrumors 6502

Sovon Halder

Not a raid setup but I have bunch of external hard drives, usb powered and additional powered. All in exFAT. Been using for some time now to do stuff in my mac and friends' PCs. All fine.

6. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

All my external drives have been formatted as exFAT for years, never had a problem.