Best external HDD for mac mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by karatekidk, Nov 18, 2009.

1. karatekidk macrumors regular

Hi everyone. Long story short, I am thinking about getting a desktop (I already have a mb). Since I already have a bluetooth mouth, a wireless keyboard, and a monitor (Dell 2209WA, yay), I think I will get a mini. Here is a question. To save some space, I would like to get an external HDD that I can put under the mini. I did some research, but couldn't get much info. Do anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you very much!

2. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I'd check on Newegg.com ..

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

5. ThornNL macrumors newbie

I'll 2nd the NewerTech MiniStack. I have two of them (a V2 & a V3) on my Mini. I purchased the bare enclosures and installed my own drives.
    HTH.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

You're going to pay a premium for a drive designed specifically to stack, top or bottom, with a mac mini. Is there a reason that a regular external drive won't work for you besides aesthetics?

7. bigdaddyp macrumors regular

Love the mini stack, seems fairly priced for a firewire enclosure that is also a powered firewire hub and a powered usb hub. I bought the bare enclosure and added my own Hdd. When worked hard the fan can get a little loud for my htpc setup but it keeps the drive very cool which is a worthy trade off imho.

Forgot to add that its smokin fast, and by using my own drive I didn't end up with a Hdd with gimped cache that are sometimes used in cheaper externals.

8. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I'll second the second on the miniStack. And buying just the enclosure and adding your own drive is the most economical way to go. Just be sure to get the right drive type. The v2 uses PATA drives and the v2.5/v3 use SATA drives.

9. karatekidk thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously I didn't. I will check out the Lacie Website. Thank you.

My desk is fairly small, and I have just enough space for a mini right by the monitor...

It does look great. I like all the ports. Definitely thinking about going for that one. Thank you!