Best external HDD for mac mini?

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA
Hi everyone. Long story short, I am thinking about getting a desktop (I already have a mb). Since I already have a bluetooth mouth, a wireless keyboard, and a monitor (Dell 2209WA, yay), I think I will get a mini. Here is a question. To save some space, I would like to get an external HDD that I can put under the mini. I did some research, but couldn't get much info. Do anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you very much!

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Hi everyone. Long story short, I am thinking about getting a desktop (I already have a mb). Since I already have a bluetooth mouth, a wireless keyboard, and a monitor (Dell 2209WA, yay), I think I will get a mini. Here is a question. To save some space, I would like to get an external HDD that I can put under the mini. I did some research, but couldn't get much info. Do anyone have any recommendations?

Thank you very much!
I'd check on Newegg.com ..

ThornNL

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I'll 2nd the NewerTech MiniStack. I have two of them (a V2 & a V3) on my Mini. I purchased the bare enclosures and installed my own drives.
HTH.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You're going to pay a premium for a drive designed specifically to stack, top or bottom, with a mac mini. Is there a reason that a regular external drive won't work for you besides aesthetics?

bigdaddyp

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Love the mini stack, seems fairly priced for a firewire enclosure that is also a powered firewire hub and a powered usb hub. I bought the bare enclosure and added my own Hdd. When worked hard the fan can get a little loud for my htpc setup but it keeps the drive very cool which is a worthy trade off imho.

Forgot to add that its smokin fast, and by using my own drive I didn't end up with a Hdd with gimped cache that are sometimes used in cheaper externals.

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
I'll second the second on the miniStack. And buying just the enclosure and adding your own drive is the most economical way to go. Just be sure to get the right drive type. The v2 uses PATA drives and the v2.5/v3 use SATA drives.

karatekidk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 30, 2008
Pacific Northwest, USA
It sounds like you didn't do much research. One Google search for "external hard drive under mac mini" produced tons of results, including this:

and, from the Apple store: http://store.apple.com/us/product/TS585VC/A?fnode=MTY1NDA0Nw&mco=MTA4NDkxMjE
Obviously I didn't. I will check out the Lacie Website. Thank you.

You're going to pay a premium for a drive designed specifically to stack, top or bottom, with a mac mini. Is there a reason that a regular external drive won't work for you besides aesthetics?
My desk is fairly small, and I have just enough space for a mini right by the monitor...

Love the mini stack, seems fairly priced for a firewire enclosure that is also a powered firewire hub and a powered usb hub. I bought the bare enclosure and added my own Hdd. When worked hard the fan can get a little loud for my htpc setup but it keeps the drive very cool which is a worthy trade off imho.

Forgot to add that its smokin fast, and by using my own drive I didn't end up with a Hdd with gimped cache that are sometimes used in cheaper externals.
It does look great. I like all the ports. Definitely thinking about going for that one. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.