Best External HDD for new MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by basqarl, Feb 28, 2008.

1. basqarl macrumors regular

What is the best external HDD for my new MBP? And where would you suggest purchasing it?

2. SDDave2007 macrumors regular

3. ColonelSmith macrumors member

Until they enable a (stable) way to backup over Airport I would go with the Time Capsule. I threw a drive in an enclosure and trust me, it's an annoyance to have to plug in to backup. Time Capsule would be the easiest solution but possibly not the best for the wallet.

4. TJones macrumors regular

5. TJones macrumors regular

Seriously, until it ships and someone gets their hands on it long enough to write a review about it would you really want to drop that kind of cash on a backup system? Backups have to work, being the first in line for a new product is always a rush but I would never bet my data on it. Sorry, that's the SAN admin me talking :D

6. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

what do you intend on using your external for? if you're going to put windows on your mac and want to make a partition for windows for installing games then time capsule probably wouldn't be your best bet... can't go wrong with a fw800

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Time Capsule looks very promising and is most certainly very convenient being cable free and all.

That said, I am very happy with my LaCie external HDD. :)

8. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I use a 1TB Western Digital drive in a Rosewill RX81 enclosure. Works great and the design matches the Mac Pro machines.

9. milesdavis macrumors regular

milesdavis

Can someone explain Time Capsule a bit to me? How does this differ from say a FW800 external drive? Could it be used as a regular external HD, for example? I'm a little confused. It seems like being wireless, it would have bad transfer rates....?

Thanks - MD

10. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

i suggest not getting a esata express card and connect that to the external i tried it and 3 cards later and a lot of time spent and numerous reformats later doesn't work.

i got a phantom 500gb for 110
    works great
    and took a caviar ide 120gb in some random enclosure and works well.

try and get firewire as much faster.
    its takes forever for my usb drive to load like 40-50 gigs
    i go to school and when i come back its done

11. gavd macrumors 6502a

I've got two WD MyBook 500GB Pro drives and they've been great for me. Never had any issues with them and I've had them for some time and they get a good amount of use.

12. benlangdon macrumors 65832

benlangdon

those things are sooo expensive.
    at least 200
    i got similar results for 100
    and i have had 2 wd mybooks but have returned them as they were not worth the money

you can almost find 1tb drives for 200

13. gavd macrumors 6502a

I don't think they're overly expensive and there may be cheaper options out there but they reviewed well and offered me what I wanted (FireWire) so I picked them up.

14. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Price considerations aside for a moment, are the 500GB WD Mybook FW drives reliable?

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I have a couple of them bought them ages ago and have had no probs whatsoever.( but like any other
    drive you could end up with a lemon) also a 320GB combo and no probs there either.oh and while im
    at it my internal a WD and again no probs

They are reliable drives try googling for reviews

16. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I have only the greatest things to say about Seagate FreeAgent drives.

17. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

I have pretty much the same question as the OP. I've heard the most reliable hard drives are the enterprise level drives like these Seagate ones for example: http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/servers/
    (of course you'd have to get your own enclosure for them)
    Does anyone know, is this true that the enterprise level drives are more reliable than the consumer ones?
    Also, Time Capsule is just for back up right? It isn't for additional storage space I don't think.

18. basqarl thread starter macrumors regular

Please excuse this question if it seems 'dumb' but I am not understanding the difference between Time Capsule and Airport Extreme. Do they both serve as external hard drives? Is it that Time Capsule would then be hooked up to Airport Extreme and perhaps Seagate so that the automatic backups would occur through the Time Machine (new MBP)?

I am just not 'getting it' as I am not at all savvy related to the more technical aspects of these devices.

:(:(

19. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

I had a look at their spec sheet, and there it says:
    Does it mean, in plain language, that the drives are pre-formatted to NTFS?

20. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

21. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

yes, at least my 320GB seagate freeagent pro was. it was a piece of cake to reformat it to HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) using disk utility

22. Am3822 macrumors 6502

Am3822

Thanks. I asked the local store and they had no clue ("we don't have anything to do with macs" and "it arrives unformatted").

I hope there's no U3 thing there, though, otherwise it's a pain to remove it.

EDIT: bought a 500GB FreeAgent Pro. It does come pre-formatted to NTFS, but also includes OS X software to format it to HFS+ and install some backup software.