Best external HDD option w/Thunderbolt OR Fireware 800 AND usb 3.0

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PaulKemp, Mar 14, 2013.

1. PaulKemp macrumors 6502

Hi!

Returning issue = iMac getting full. I have the 2011 version with only SSD. And with bootcamp, you do get full quite often.

I know that it's possible to install a extra HDD myself, but I really dont want to risk it. Even though I'm technical enough to pull it of (I believe). And its been hard finding guides and howtos' on installing a 2nd normal 3.5" disk. Most of the guides are for adding a SSD, not installing a mechanical one.

So, since my iMac doesnt have USB 3.0 (bummer), I'm looking into the following options:
    • Fireware 800 and USB 3.0 (for futureproofing)
    • Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 (for futureproofing)
    The drive has to have "the best possible" write speeds. So 7200 rpm it is. And, as a added kicker, the drive has to be available in Norway. Yay!

Been looking into the LaCie d2 Quadra v3, but it doent really get good reviews. Maybe the LaCie Rugged Triple 1TB?. It's has better reviews.

Inputs on my options?

Links:

Some pictures to make it prettier.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Thunderbolt is already more advanced than USB 3.0 and new Macs don't come with FireWire anymore, so there isn't really anything to future-proof.

Just get something Thunderbolt.

3. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

This may not be what you are looking for ...

Seagate makes a portable disk system under the "GoFlex" name with several sizes of modular disk drives. They can be attached to interface cables which are available as Thunderbolt, FireWire800, or USB 3.0. So, if you have a small collection of these drive modules, you can pretty much interface them to anything you have.

Many here are using this system for SSD drives, either swapping the SSD for the hard disk in the enclosure, or simply plugging a bare SATA drive onto the SATA compatible cable end. You can also find empty enclosures in eBay to put your SSD into for a finished look without sacrificing a hard disk drive.

4. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Once you go Thunderbolt... it is extremely unlikely that you will want to move to USB 3.0. Still... having the capability for USB 2.0 could be nice if you need to occasionally connect to an older machine.

/Jim

5. PaulKemp, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013

PaulKemp thread starter macrumors 6502

Great! I was not aware that this was a option for me. But it looks as a viable option. Maybe buying a used one on eBay. And with TB and SSD i will be flying!

Yeah, but my next laptop may not have TB. Maybe it's a cheaper windows laptop with only USB 3.0. Unlikely, but still... :)

6. ttx336 macrumors newbie

Have you considered a TimeCapsule? Hard to beat server-grade 2TB HDD and Gigabit Ethernet... I have fallen in love with NAS in general, had an iOmega first that crapped out pretty quick (frikin' Seagate drives are trash), next a Seagate BlackArmor but I became afraid of it because their drive failure rate is through the roof and my iPhone5 was having connectivity issues with the 3800RG (AT&T). You'll have the benefit of the files being available to multiple machines if you so choose and accessibility to said files via the Internet...

Food for thought,

-Gary