Best External HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Blazer5913, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

I've been back and forth on this debate (on this forum as well) many times, and I really don't want to wait any longer. I need a 750gb, but a 1tb, external drive ASAP. It must have Firewire 800, and preferrably a 1tb capacity, capable of video editing and storing .mkv movie files. I was going to get the Western Digital MyBook Pro with FW800 but you guys didn't seem too enthusiastic about it. Please, just give me a brand and model number and your approval, and I'll get it. I just want to be done with this debate! Haha, I'm sure you guys can relate with me. thanks

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Get yourself one of these, and a pair of 500GB Seagates.

3. eji macrumors 6502

eji

After owning a 500GB Formac (complete rubbish), an 80GB IceWarrior from Mac & More, a 250GB DigitalPlanet generic drive, and a 500GB LaCie Big Disk Extreme, I say go with OWC's Mercury Elite Pro Aluminum. I just picked up the 500GB model and it's quiet, compact, attractive, and the company is really Mac-oriented. It's a bit pricier than other models but seems to be worth it. I've heard way too many horror stories about LaCie, but if you're looking to spend a bit less, I'm at least one person who's been pleased with my Big Disk Extreme so far. The brand I recommend you stay away from is Formac. Their drives and their customer service are just awful.

4. macmike47 macrumors regular

I've heard horror stories about Lacie too, but have had one drive for 3-odd years and another (320GB FW800) for almost a year. They're both still working absolutely fine. :p

5. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Just about to order the WD MyBook Pro 1TB. Thanks for all the advice

6. mitsu3kgtsl macrumors newbie

www.newertech.com

Get yourself some sort of miniStack, either a v2 (what I usually buy) or a v3 if you need eSATA. You can purchase with or without a harddrive included, and last time I checked, they used Seagate and Hitachi, both quality HD manufacturers. Best external HDD enclosure ever, I've literally been through dozens. You won't regret the purchase.