Best external HDs for 2017 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ray111, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Ray111 macrumors newbie

Purchased a 15" 2017 MBP last weekend and am looking to purchase a new HD. I've been using a 1 TB WD My Passport with my previous MBP but am looking for a significant update.

Any recommendations?

THanks!

2. chabig macrumors 603

There is no such thing as a "best" hard drive. They are all the same on the inside. Pick the one you think has the prettiest case.

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

How are you going to use the drive?
    If you are using it for unique data storage, how will you back it up?
    What do you want in an upgrade? - reliability, speed, compactness, ability to use as a personal cloud?
    Does it matter whether this is a portable drive or not?

4. Ray111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the swift replies. Speed should be covered by switching to USB 3.0. I'll mainly be using it for Time Machine, do not necessarily need to use it as a personal cloud.

I'm aware there are a lot of comparable models across a number of companies but wanted to know if any of these stood out significantly..

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

I’ve been using WD and Toshiba external drives for years now without issue. Have one hooked up to my kid’s Xbox One, and use 3 more for laptop backups.

With Toshiba in financial straits, I’d probably stick with WD. Picked up a 4TB WD From Best Buy last month for $109 plus tax. Apparently B&H has 4TB drives from $99 so it’s a really great deal for the money, IMHO.

I partitioned the drive so only a portion would be dedicated to Time Machine and it wouldn’t overtake space dedicated to my files.

6. xWhiplash macrumors 68000

I find they are all the same these days. I have had numerous western digital drives and Seagate drives fail lately. It doesn't really matter. Just make sure you have a backup because that hard drive will fail. It just not be for 10 years or so.

7. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

If you are only using it as a backup drive, I would say purchase whatever model you can find for cheapest in the enclosure you like. I'm personally a fan of WD Black 2.5 line (mainly because they come with a 5 year warranty, and quite a few HDDs fail within a 5 year span - it seems at least 25% of HDDs fail in this period, and this way you get a free replacement) and the HGST UltraStar for 3.5s (arguably unnecessary).

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... not really. Just decide if you want a 2.5" laptop style or a 3.5 inch desktop style, then grab whatever you can find on sale in the size you need.

9. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

How do you plan to use the external drive? I use a Samsung T5 iTB SSD to carry my Itunes library and work field kit tech manuals. If you do 4K editing alot something with a fan like G-Technology