Best External Monitor <$300.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NiKeZz, Jan 5, 2011.

1. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

I'm in college and on a budget. I am currently using a 32" HDTV for my external monitor but it looks like poo and I start photojournalism next semester. I'm looking for a monitor that has a good size screen and has very sharp and vivid colors so I can edit photo's on it instead of my 2010 13" MacBook Pro. Only thing I really want it to have is HDMI so i can use my Xbox on it to.
    Thanks,
    Aaron

2. nutmac macrumors 68040

Since your usage includes photography, your options are extremely limited.

According to Comprehensive List of IPS Based LCD Monitors, you are limited to these 1920x1080 sets:

I suspect they all use the same panels (two 21.5" and two 23" of the same kind) and since their prices are so similar, you can probably use your style preference be the guide (I personally like Dell's zero dead pixel warranty, so I would probably go with Dell U2211H).

3. NiKeZz thread starter macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

So when I'm looking for a monitor i need to find one with an IPS Panel? And i noticed that warranty when I looked. Whats the best way to go about hooking one up with the display port? I'm currently running HDMI via MiniDP->HDMI.

4. nutmac macrumors 68040

For photography, you should avoid TN-based monitors, which most budget monitors are (as well as most notebook's). There are many reasons why, but primarily, individual pixels on TN LCDs can reproduce 6-bit (vs 8- or even 10-bit on other types). 6-bit translates to 262,144 colors. It uses dithering algorithm to simulate 16+ million colors. Needless to say, that isn't desirable for photography. Also, TN has much narrower viewing angle than other types (ignore published 160 degree numbers... in reality, it's more like 80 degrees). That said, TN is popular because it's cheaper to manufacture and because it has faster response time (ideal for gaming).

In addition to DisplayPort, most of these monitors have DVI as well. Monoprice has many inexpensive HDMI to DVI cables and adapters.