Best external monitor for MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by arnetob, Jun 18, 2014.

1. arnetob macrumors newbie

I want to buy a monitor to use with my MBP Retina 13" (haswell) for my desk. I'm thinking about 27" and atleast 2560x1440. I like the retina display so I want something about the same viewing angles, colours, brightness etc. Since I'm new to Macs I don't know what port is best to use for this (hdmi, dp, thunderbolt). But I know I want to run 60hz, so 4k isnt an option yet I've heard. I guess IPS is the only panel for my needs? Any suggestions?

2. arnetob, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014

arnetob thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Displayport will give you the full resolution you want.

Not sure about the HDMI connection -- perhaps others will answer.

On the Mac Mini, HDMI is limited to 1080p. Might be different on the MBPro's.

If I were you, I'd connect via Displayport...

4. defboob macrumors member

Note that your MBP is mini displayport (thunderbolt) and not all these monitors have that natively, you may need an adapter from regular displayport (or a cable that is mini on one side, regular on the other). For example the Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM has DisplayPort, not mini-DisplayPort - however the higher end U2713H does have miniDisplayPort built into it.

5. rhimbo, Jun 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2014

rhimbo macrumors member

rhimbo

How to use external monitor with MBP cover closed?

Hi folks,

I know this post is not precisely related to the original thread, but thought I would try asking this question....

I have an older MBP 17" (introduced Feb. 2008, discontinued Oct. 2008 according to mactracker.ca). I'm currently running Mavericks 10.9.3.

I just bought an ASUS PB278 27" monitor. I hooked it up via the DVI port on my MBP (to the DVI port on the monitor).

Now here is my (embarrassing question). How do I use the external monitor and run the MBP with the lid closed? I can't seem to find the setup in the System Preferences.... Currently I have to have the MBP lid open to use the external monitor....

If I should post a separate thread, please tell me.

Thanks in advance....

6. JoeyCloverfield macrumors regular

7. rhimbo macrumors member

rhimbo

Thank you. Actually, after rebooting, closing the lid worked. I thought I was doing something wrong (needed to configure something in system preferences) as it wasn't working prior to rebooting for some reason.

Thanks again.....