Best external monitor for new macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by irishgrizzly, Mar 14, 2009.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I'm trying to get the best external monitor for a new macbook (2.4GhHz). I want to use it as a TV and a monitor. I'm thinking this model looks good.

Link (Sony-Bravia-KDL32V5500U).

Some questions;

1. Will this be too large for my max resolution? I hear the newer macbook support a lower res then before.

2. I'd like to use HDMI would I be better going for another TV?

3. or should I go for the new Apple 24" display?

2. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

1. The MB outputs 1080 resolution no problem.
    2. That's fine for HDMI. It has 4 of'em on there. You'll just need a MiniDisplayPort-->DVI, then an DVI--->HDMI cable. Alternatively, you could try and grab a MDP--->HDMI adapter from monoprice.
    3. No, the Apple display is a poor choice if you want an easy way to do TV as well in one monitor.

3. irishgrizzly thread starter macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

4. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Not sure what size you want, but I'd suggest the Samsung T260HD. It's simply awesome :p

5. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I'd wager he wants ~32", seeing how that's the one posted in the OP

6. Spares macrumors member

not trying for the highjack of the thread here, hopefully it adds to the information in this thread. But to clarify, if i was to use a monitor/tv as a secondary display for my macbook like the OP is suggesting, would it be possible to use it as extra real estate to view documents, as in i could have some things open on one monitor and somthing different simutaneously on my macbook screen...

if that doesnt make sense let me know ill take another stab at explaining:)

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yes, you'd just turn off mirroring mode, and it'll act like an extended desktop.

8. Spares macrumors member

thanks! looks like a nice HDTV is in my future

9. kasakka macrumors 68000

I'd advice against a HDTV unless you're going to use it only for things like movies. The problem is that on a HDTV the pixel size is very large compared to computer monitors so in desktop use it won't be the same as using a monitor.

I've got a 30" 2560x1600 and a 40" 1920x1080 (HDTV) screens side by side and the higher pixel density and resolution of the 30" has a huge impact on text readability. The same thing was true when I had a 22" 1920x1200 screen next to the 40" HDTV. Also the extra vertical resolution is very useful - most things you do on a computer like web browsing, document writing etc call for more vertical than horizontal resolution after all.

I suggest you consider which is more important function - as a monitor or as a TV.

10. Spares macrumors member

well personally im in the market for a LCD HDTV around 26 inches, i need a new tv and want a second display so i figured two birds with one stone seemed appealing

11. jayrobinson macrumors newbie

jayrobinson

I'm going to buy a Sharp Aquos 46" LCD TV

I'm going to buy a Sharp Aquos 46" LCD TV. I need it primarily as a TV (AppleTV too, but I know that will work fine).

Secondarily, I'd like to hook my 2.2GHz black plastic MacBook to it, just for fun. Any one know of any issues here? Is the TV a good one?

What's the best Mini-DVI -> HDMI solution? (I am aware this may require two cables, but what is the best combination of said cables?)

Thanks, Forums!

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

Should pose no problems. The cable you need is the Mini-DVI -> DVI adapter plugged into a DVI -> HDMI cable. So all you need is the adapter and the cable. Buy the cheapest one, it's all digital so don't fall for useless **** like gold plated connectors etc.