Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
I too am in the market for an external optical drive. I'm going to be ripping my whole CD collection (about 400-500 CDs), so I need something that's rugged and well-built and won't fail after the first 50 rips. Is the SuperDrive good enough or should I go with something else? If not, what should I go for? I have no need for it to be thin nor light nor beautifully designed, I'll only need it while at home.
Make sure you rip in lossless format.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
2. I highly doubt Apple would remove support to external USB drives anytime soon. It's a very standard part of the USB spec.
They may do a lot more than "remove support." I had a perfectly functional HP drive that just stopped working, if I remember correctly when I moved from Snow Leopard to Lion or else Lion to Mountain Lion. I put it on a borrowed Windows laptop and it worked fine. If that is what you mean by "remove support" then I guess they do.

akidd

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Tunbridge Wells, UK
I don't think the apple SuperDrive is good value for money, I've seen drives half the price that offer 24x speed on cd burning, 8x DVD.

I think the SuperDrive is only 8x for anything.

So, what's everyone else using?

I went to my local pc world and the optical drives there were only for windows...

I bought this:

Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black
from Amazon a couple of years ago as I needed a drive for trade exhibitions (you still got press kits on DVD then and to some extent you still do) and didn't want to have the Superdrive lost/damaged by the airline. It worked fine but its a little fragile. Just take the SuperDrive now.
The Superdrive is overpriced for what it is, but its small (for what it is) and quality, reliability and look is much better.

Audit13

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Personally, I would not use a Superdrive as it is expensive and may not work with a Windows or Linus OS. I would go with a generic external that will work across various OS platforms.

I've upgraded PC laptops for friends and family by removing the DVD drive and installing a DVD drive caddy and moving the mechanical drive to the DVD caddy and an SSD in place of the mechanical drive. I then take the DVD drive and install it into a USB enclosure like this: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/USB-SAT-Note...hash=item25da20cfd4:m:mluTxRaXTHCuW1QyyAiSkdQ

The result is an external drive that has worked with Mac, Windows, and Linux with no problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.