Best external portable hard drive for my Blackbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AdventurousJosh, Sep 28, 2009.

1. AdventurousJosh macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I have a late 2007 150 GB Macbook Black. I'd like to finally backup my data and also use it for games or other storage to play directly from, cause I'm almost out of room on my my Macbook.

What kind of portable hard drive do you use, or recommend? Thanks so much

2. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, but I'm looking for suggestions based a little better on my individual needs, that thread creator is using a MBP and in result is getting recommendations for drives that use firewire ports this MB doesn't have (800), as well as other things better set for a MBR over my black book, also solid state drives, etc.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Does it absolutely have to be portable? Even "non-portable" drives (in the sense that they have an external power supply) can be carried around fairly easily given the right enclosure.

4. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There are plenty of recommendations, and the OP in that thread mentions nothing of firewire.

6. crackbookpro macrumors 65816

crackbookpro

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

8. Adam0306 macrumors regular

Adam0306

I would choose either the Seagate Free Agent or Western Digital Passport for portability. As far as the difference between Firewire and USB, I havent used Firewire yet but the speeds are close to the same by the one you have so its strictly user preference as I'm concerned.

9. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay guys thanks, I got a WD Passport 500 GB for $120 at Costco, came with a case.

10. kakapo macrumors member

kakapo

since you have the drive you can do your own test, but in my experience, Firewire 400 is dramatically faster than USB for external HD use despite what the data rate specs say. i have a (non-portable) maxtor drive w/ firewire 400, that i got as costco a few years ago and have been very happy with. costco is very good about taking things back if you change your mind.

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes

Firewire is faster, but the drives are also more expensive.
    http://www.barefeats.com/mbpp10.html

Do you have many items that need USB (printers, keyboard, mouse, headphones, etc), then you will find firewire better, because the Macbook only have one shared bus (if im not mistaken?) and the HD will have to share the bandwidth. Also the nice thing about firewire is that you usually don't have to swap another item out when you hook it up (I have two USB hubs and at least 8 usb devices lying on my desk.. with only two ports you'll get a mess with hubs and cables)

12. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

:p for some reason i didn't see this post :)

The Passport is great, i have one myself.

You know you could take the 500GB inside the passport out and swap it with the one in your Macbook?

It's a really easy procedure.

13. sonspot macrumors member

i also had a WD, what i did was swap out the drive, now am using the WD in my MB and the original drive in the case,.

14. AdventurousJosh thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys, thanks for replies! please keep advising cause actually I'm returning my drive due to finding one online for cheaper price (amazon) so if I can find anything else sweet I would consider.

Thanks.