Best external storage for nMP [price/performance]

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by CuamckuyKot, Feb 20, 2015.

1. CuamckuyKot macrumors member

CuamckuyKot

Greetings!

Guys, which of you has nMP, what is the best external storage for it?

Can you make any tests with BlackMagic SpeedTest?

I need 2-4 HDD Raid for optimal performance to work with 1080p and 4K.

2. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

An OWC Thunderbay 4 with drives of your choice is the best bang-for-the-buck.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/External-Drive/OWC/ThunderBay-4

I have the previous TB1 model with four 5TB drives connected to my Mac Mini and it can do 750MB/s.

If that's enough speed for you, then that model is still available at B&H for a bit less...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...d_computing_owctb2ivkit0gb_thunderbay_iv.html

3. paulsdenton, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015

paulsdenton macrumors 6502

paulsdenton

I use a Promise Pegasus TB2 R8 configured as RAID 5 for video using FCP 10.1 and Compressor but only for 1080p (no 4K). It handles everything I throw at it without complaint. If I had it to do over again I would not use RAID 5 as I am compulsive about reliable backups. I ended up buying a second TB drive to back up the Pegasus!

If you don't already have your nMP; BE SURE to get the biggest SSD available (1 TB I think). You won't be sorry.

I find the nMP can breeze through stuff that used to take all night; batch Handbrake conversions for example. I have a base model and it does in minutes stuff that used to take hours on my Mac Mini. You will like it. Great piece of equipment!

4. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Both are good options, but unless I'm mistaken neither offer the price/performance of the OWC. In fact, all are going to perform at the limit of the installed drives, so it really comes down to price, and for many people noise (which is likely a wash).

5. AppleDroid macrumors 6502a

I picked up the Raid5 Thunderbay IV and couldn't be happier. The 12TB model ran me just under $1k and averages speeds around 500MBs read and write. Also got a newer version with a quiet fan it's barely audible.