Best External Storage - MacMini

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MaxusHastings, Apr 1, 2011.

1. MaxusHastings macrumors member

Hi All :)

I am currently on the hunt for some solid external storage for my MacMini.

I use it as my media centre and file server, so speed and reliability (hard to find both in one package it seems) are key for me. I have checked into products like drobo which seem good but very pricey for the solution.

I am just curious what other people have used on their MacMinis to get some extra space and which has proved the most reliable. It is also worth noting that i am in the UK as well, so ideally a product that can be purchased here would be great :)

Many Thanks in advanced!

Maxus

Edit: oops wrong forum! Mods please feel free to move :(

2. Spikestrip macrumors member

Spikestrip

Well, might as well reply, even if it isn't moved yet.
    I use a Drobo for eternal storage and it is awesome. They also have fantastic customer support. Although, this is likely to be overkill for many people. I would just watch out for the crap Western Digital external drives will want you to install on your computer. I have had firmware issues with Seagate drives.

I think, strictly from personal experience, I would try to find something by Samsung. I have always been very happy with their electronics. Also, Iomega makes that external HDD that looks like the Mac Mini, and stacks nicely with it.

Spike