best fan control program for macpro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BeyondMountains, Mar 3, 2009.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

I have had this sound occur off and on since i got it about a year ago

and i want to turn all the fans off to see if thats what it is

i just cleaned everything inside, took out everything(even the fans), still i get this sound.

2. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Couple things, first if you shut off your CPU fan within minutes if not seconds the system would lock up from over heating. Possible wrecking components.

Secondly, this is controlled by OS X itself. All fan control programs simply tell OS X to raise the minimum fan speed. Non currently out can lower it below apples defaults. That might be able to be changed but I doubt it.

Either way, its not a good idea.

On to this sound. I would try pulling any extra hard drives and moving the boot drive to the back bay and see if it changes it. If so thats what it is.

3. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

haaaa good looks that would have been a disaster if i tried that.
    phewww. you're right not a good idea. just a last attempt i had schemed up to solve this mystery sound.

I'll try moving the boot drive. (the sound was present before any additional drives were installed)

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Another thing you could try is removing the video card. (assuming you hear the sound before it boots)

Then turn it on, it won't boot but that way you can tell if its the video card fan or not.