Best file manager for iPhone and iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by max2, Aug 4, 2016.

1. max2 macrumors 68020

2. lexvo macrumors 65816

There are many apps for file management.
    Tip: try the free Documents app by Readdle. Despite its name, it has good file management capacities which rival many (paid) file manager apps.

3. max2 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks how is it compared to iFile ?

4. lexvo macrumors 65816

Difficult to say, there are several apps named or where the name starts with "iFile" :)
    But from what I read in the app store I think Documents is just as good.

5. max2 thread starter macrumors 68020

Sorry I meant the Cydia app called iFile.

6. lexvo macrumors 65816

OK, no problem :)
    Sorry, I don't know the Cydia iFile app.

7. max2 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks no problem.

8. iRaynor SK macrumors 6502

iRaynor SK

iFiles 2

And yea, I tried Documents by Readdle, FileBrowser from Stratospherix and GoodReader.

9. lexvo macrumors 65816

What do you find better in iFiles 2 than Stratospherix?
    I am just curious. I don't know iFiles 2 and I only have tried the free version of Stratospherix.

10. iRaynor SK macrumors 6502

iRaynor SK

iFiles 2 is better, because:

- it can mount as network device and you can transfer files directly from Mac to iFiles by drag-n-drop and vice versa, like on another disk

- full iCloud Access

- document provider works with all files, in FileBrowser you have to move files to special folder to be accessible for other apps. And then move it back.

- better downloader

- if you in some another app (like built-in Photos) use share sheet (because full featured "Open with..." isn't available everywhere), you can still save to iFiles (this works, for example, with Dropbox too)

- tabs - very useful if you are switching between lot of folders or even network services like iCloud, Dropbox, FTP server, other clouds...

- clouds, FTP servers etc in iFiles 2 can be password-protected, so even if you are already in iFiles, you will need to type passcode to access remote servers and clouds

- multitasking does not makes graphics glitches (in FileBrowser it can be repaired by refresh button, it's annoying)

- document picker (do not confuse with document provider) works perfect. FileBrowser did not get it.

- built-in support for many, many cloud services

- more intuitive and customizable GUI

11. lexvo macrumors 65816

Thank you!
    When I tried the free version of Stratospherix I noticed #3 too, very annoying.

I didn't know about #1 (mount as network device) and support for document picker sounds great too.

Anyway, I saw iFiles 2 is on sale so I just bought it. I'm going to try it out now :)

12. max2 thread starter macrumors 68020

Yep only 99 cents here normally $4.99!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 5, 2016 ---
    I can't connect to iFiles 2 on my computer. What am I doing wrong?

13. gaanee macrumors 65816

14. iRaynor SK macrumors 6502

iRaynor SK

I can't connect to iFiles 2 on my computer. What am I doing wrong?

---------

You need to enable sharing in iFiles 2

I can send you screenshots, if you cannot find it

15. max2 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks!

16. lexvo, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016

lexvo macrumors 65816

Hmmm, I tried iFiles 2 for a few days now, but thusfar I have mixed feelings.

First, iFiles 2 is fast connecting to services and browsing through directories.

But yesterday it wouldn't work with document picker. Today it suddenly started working. I turned my iPad off and on in between, maybe that helped. EDIT: I found out that this is probably an iOS problem and not a bug in iFiles 2 as it happens in other apps too.

And iFiles 2 is very slow copying a file between services. In my case I try to copy a file from iCloud (Numbers) to a SMB service. After several minutes it was still saying "downloading" but nothing seems to happen. In the end I stopped the transfer. I tried another file but no dice. It seems that iFiles 2 can't copy directly from iCloud to SMB.

I managed to copy a file by first copying it to the local storage and then to my SMB share. But then the file turned into a directory which I couldn't open. I tried to copy the same file via Webdav but the same problem. It looks like iFiles isn't handling iWork files very well.

I can open a WebDav share from within iFiles. However, when I try it via the document picker it doesn't work. SMB is working OK though.

17. max2 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks! So what do you suggest then ?

18. iRaynor SK macrumors 6502

iRaynor SK

On Twitter of iFiles 2 developer said he is working on SMB. Just wait before deleting iFiles 2 :)

19. lexvo macrumors 65816

Difficult to say. I think each file manager has its pro and cons.
    I have read good reviews about Transmit. It has a great feature that you can open and save files directly from shares (for example webdav) in an app through Transmit. I know of no other file manager which can do that (iFiles 2 can open which is great but not save as I noticed). Unfortunately Transmit is not cheap (something like $9) and does not support a lot of cloud services.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 7, 2016 ---
    Fair enough. I will watch how iFiles 2 improves with newer versions :)

20. lexvo macrumors 65816

I just found out that iFiles 2 is having trouble copying iWork files from iCloud. I e-mailed the developer.

By the way, a few posts ago I said that iFiles 2 has problems with the file picker. This is an iOS problem I think as it happened with other apps too. So not a iFiles 2 bug :)

21. Anshante macrumors newbie

Anshante

I use on my iPad Documents by Riddle, its free. I've also heard good things about iFiles and Files App. Good luck!

22. lexvo macrumors 65816

This also works for getting files from and saving back to shares. It works perfectly with SFTP. This is a great feature! As far as I know, Transmit is the only other app which has this.

I had a bit mixed feelings about iFiles 2, but this is a big plus :)

23. zoejane2016 Suspended

Hello, I guess this video demo gonna be another choice to get the best file manager for iPhone.

[/QUOTE]

24. grgsiocl macrumors regular

Can you post AppStore link for ifile 2 as I can't find despite of search. Thank you .