Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
There are many apps for file management.
Tip: try the free Documents app by Readdle. Despite its name, it has good file management capacities which rival many (paid) file manager apps.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
There are many apps for file management.
Tip: try the free Documents app by Readdle. Despite its name, it has good file management capacities which rival many (paid) file manager apps.

Thanks how is it compared to iFile ?

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Difficult to say, there are several apps named or where the name starts with "iFile" :)
But from what I read in the app store I think Documents is just as good.

Sorry I meant the Cydia app called iFile.

iRaynor SK

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2014
Banská Bystrica, Slovak Republic
What do you find better in iFiles 2 than Stratospherix?
I am just curious. I don't know iFiles 2 and I only have tried the free version of Stratospherix.

iFiles 2 is better, because:

- it can mount as network device and you can transfer files directly from Mac to iFiles by drag-n-drop and vice versa, like on another disk

- full iCloud Access

- document provider works with all files, in FileBrowser you have to move files to special folder to be accessible for other apps. And then move it back.

- better downloader

- if you in some another app (like built-in Photos) use share sheet (because full featured "Open with..." isn't available everywhere), you can still save to iFiles (this works, for example, with Dropbox too)

- tabs - very useful if you are switching between lot of folders or even network services like iCloud, Dropbox, FTP server, other clouds...

- clouds, FTP servers etc in iFiles 2 can be password-protected, so even if you are already in iFiles, you will need to type passcode to access remote servers and clouds

- multitasking does not makes graphics glitches (in FileBrowser it can be repaired by refresh button, it's annoying)

- document picker (do not confuse with document provider) works perfect. FileBrowser did not get it.

- built-in support for many, many cloud services

- more intuitive and customizable GUI

Reactions: lexvo

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands

- it can mount as network device and you can transfer files directly from Mac to iFiles by drag-n-drop and vice versa, like on another disk

- full iCloud Access

- document provider works with all files, in FileBrowser you have to move files to special folder to be accessible for other apps. And then move it back.

- better downloader

- if you in some another app (like built-in Photos) use share sheet (because full featured "Open with..." isn't available everywhere), you can still save to iFiles (this works, for example, with Dropbox too)

- tabs - very useful if you are switching between lot of folders or even network services like iCloud, Dropbox, FTP server, other clouds...

- clouds, FTP servers etc in iFiles 2 can be password-protected, so even if you are already in iFiles, you will need to type passcode to access remote servers and clouds

- multitasking does not makes graphics glitches (in FileBrowser it can be repaired by refresh button, it's annoying)

- document picker (do not confuse with document provider) works perfect. FileBrowser did not get it.

- built-in support for many, many cloud services

- more intuitive and customizable GUI

Thank you!
When I tried the free version of Stratospherix I noticed #3 too, very annoying.

I didn't know about #1 (mount as network device) and support for document picker sounds great too.

Anyway, I saw iFiles 2 is on sale so I just bought it. I'm going to try it out now :)

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Thank you!
When I tried the free version of Stratospherix I noticed #3 too, very annoying.

I didn't know about #1 (mount as network device) and support for document picker sounds great too.

Anyway, I saw iFiles 2 is on sale so I just bought it. I'm going to try it out now :)

Yep only 99 cents here normally $4.99!
[doublepost=1470419428][/doublepost]I can't connect to iFiles 2 on my computer. What am I doing wrong?

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Hmmm, I tried iFiles 2 for a few days now, but thusfar I have mixed feelings.

First, iFiles 2 is fast connecting to services and browsing through directories.

But yesterday it wouldn't work with document picker. Today it suddenly started working. I turned my iPad off and on in between, maybe that helped. EDIT: I found out that this is probably an iOS problem and not a bug in iFiles 2 as it happens in other apps too.

And iFiles 2 is very slow copying a file between services. In my case I try to copy a file from iCloud (Numbers) to a SMB service. After several minutes it was still saying "downloading" but nothing seems to happen. In the end I stopped the transfer. I tried another file but no dice. It seems that iFiles 2 can't copy directly from iCloud to SMB.

I managed to copy a file by first copying it to the local storage and then to my SMB share. But then the file turned into a directory which I couldn't open. I tried to copy the same file via Webdav but the same problem. It looks like iFiles isn't handling iWork files very well.

I can open a WebDav share from within iFiles. However, when I try it via the document picker it doesn't work. SMB is working OK though.

Last edited:

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Hmmm, I tried iFiles 2 for a few days now, but thusfar I have mixed feelings.

First, iFiles 2 is fast connecting to services and browsing through directories.

But yesterday it wouldn't work with document picker. Today it suddenly started working. I turned my iPad off and on in between, maybe that helped.

And iFiles 2 is very slow copying a file between services. In my case I try to copy a file from iCloud (Numbers) to a SMB service. After several minutes it was still saying "downloading" but nothing seems to happen. In the end I stopped the transfer. I tried another file but no dice. It seems that iFiles 2 can't copy directly from iCloud to SMB.

I managed to copy a file by first copying it to the local storage and then to my SMB share. But then the file turned into a directory which I couldn't open. I tried to copy the same file via Webdav but the same problem. It looks like iFiles isn't handling iWork files very well.

I can open a WebDav share from within iFiles. However, when I try it via the document picker it doesn't work. SMB is working OK though.

Thanks! So what do you suggest then ?

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Thanks! So what do you suggest then ?

Difficult to say. I think each file manager has its pro and cons.
I have read good reviews about Transmit. It has a great feature that you can open and save files directly from shares (for example webdav) in an app through Transmit. I know of no other file manager which can do that (iFiles 2 can open which is great but not save as I noticed). Unfortunately Transmit is not cheap (something like $9) and does not support a lot of cloud services.
[doublepost=1470571095][/doublepost]
On Twitter of iFiles 2 developer said he is working on SMB. Just wait before deleting iFiles 2 :)

Fair enough. I will watch how iFiles 2 improves with newer versions :)

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
On Twitter of iFiles 2 developer said he is working on SMB. Just wait before deleting iFiles 2 :)

I just found out that iFiles 2 is having trouble copying iWork files from iCloud. I e-mailed the developer.

By the way, a few posts ago I said that iFiles 2 has problems with the file picker. This is an iOS problem I think as it happened with other apps too. So not a iFiles 2 bug :)

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands

This also works for getting files from and saving back to shares. It works perfectly with SFTP. This is a great feature! As far as I know, Transmit is the only other app which has this.

I had a bit mixed feelings about iFiles 2, but this is a big plus :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.