Best file sharing/storage solution for design studio of five?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CBGFilms, Jul 25, 2013.

1. CBGFilms, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013

CBGFilms macrumors regular

We are a design team of five and we're currently sharing a Microsoft Small Business Server with another 30+ employees that work at the agency.

The server is slow for us to work with and does not work well with our Macs as we are always running into file permissions issues. The server is also beggining to reach capacity, so rather than extend the server designed for sharing business documents we'd like to setup our own fast file storage solution.

What equipment would you reccomend?

After doing some research I was looking at getting a Mac Mini and connecting a Promise Pegasus R4 RAID via thunderbolt which would be on the network.

Any thoughts on that or any other suggestions would be very helpful. We currently have around 500gb of files but this will be expected to grow. We work with large Photoshop files on a daily basis.

We will also need away to have backups, perhaps ones that can be off-site and cloud backups too. We'd also like to access it from home.

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Don't buy the MacMini Server, but buy an i7 Mini and get the OS X Server app from the Mac App Store for $19.99. Much cheaper.

The Mini with OS X Server software is an excellent choice that will match your needs.

3. CBGFilms thread starter macrumors regular

Good thinking, otherwise I'd just be paying for a whole other 1TB hard drive for no reason I guess!

Any other options that are worth exploring? What are the pros and cons of just using a NAS drive attached to the network instead?