Best file system for time machine.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DannyBres, Feb 5, 2008.

1. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

Whats the best file system for a time machine external HDD? i may wanna plug it into a PC one day too.

FATS 32?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Split your drive between HFS+ and FAT32. Sadly you can't use Time Machine on FAT32.

4. DannyBres thread starter macrumors 65816

DannyBres

oh ok.

but a time capsule will be hfs+ but will be able to be a windows network drive?

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

if you install MacDrive windows will be able to read/write to HFS+. otherwise format to two partitions, one HFS+, the other FAT32 or NTFS. but what about FAT or NFTS your say? well if you will be working with large files (over 4 GB) then use NTFS. remember Mac OS X can read/write to FAT but only read NTFS by default. install MacFuse or NTFS for Mac OS X and youll be able to write to NTFS.

to partition use Disk Util. make the first HFS+ and the second MS-DOS (FAT). then in windows format the FAT partition to NTFS or leave it if you want.

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Since Time Capsule is not yet available, it's hard to say, as no one has had a chance to play with it. It may be the case that users can't create a non-HFS+ partition.
    One would assume, however, that Apple would allow a NTFS or FAT32 partition simply because the they are using the possibility of installing Windows on Intel Macs as a major selling point.

7. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

maybe Apple will write code for Windows to allow PCs to read/write to HFS+ over the network? theyve already written remote disk software for Windows so they could definitely do this. its just the NTFS code that is the trouble for open source as NTFS is proprietary.

8. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

I think the fact that it's a network drive should mean that anything can write to it. I think. For example, my mum's PC is NTFS but I dump files onto it from my Mac all the time (without MacFuse or anything installed). I haven't got it to work the other way around (Windows just plain won't see my Mac on the network) but I don't need it so I haven't fiddled. I think it should be possible, maybe it's because it's going via the router and not actually being written directly by the other machine? But I'm no expert, that last bit was a guess.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

your thinking of writing to NTFS drives over the network which Mac OS X can do by default. its just that Mac OS X cant write to NTFS drives locally (well without a little third party support)

im talking about the opposite; Apple writing software for Windows PCs to write to HFS+ over the network as for Time Capsule to work with Time Machine it must be formatted to HFS+.

no it is written to the PC as smb (part of Unix) can write to NTFS over the network thanks to an Australian which made this possible.

10. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

So you're saying a PC can't write to a Mac (with appropriate file sharing etc enabled) over a network? I did not know that. Thanks, I learnt something new. :)

11. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yep HFS+ and NTFS are both proprietary so Apple or Microsoft cant write code for their file systems to write to each other but an Australian guy wrote code for smb which is open source and what Mac OS X uses to connect to windows shares to enable read/write to NTFS. haha i only just learnt this recently :eek:.