Best file type for movies

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sammy.d, Dec 16, 2010.

1. sammy.d macrumors regular

I am wanting to rip all of my dvds onto a hard drive that I will leave connected to my TV so that I no longer need to keep changing discs every time I want to watch something new and live in fear of scratching and ruining the discs.

However, I am not sure what file type I should be creating or the codecs I should be using (video and audio). If the file type isnt supported by the TV, I will play the file on my comp and use the TV as an external display, so dont worry about that.

Could someone please tell me the specs of the files I should be creating (and a decent app to use as well)?

I have googled this but can't find anything very good. If anyone knows of a site explaining this stuff, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Sam.

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

If you are actually using the TV to decode the video as in a smart TV then use a compatible codec and the highest datarate possible.

If you are using a computer or apple tv or ps3 or xbox use h.264.

3. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Use Handbrake to rip them. As the previous poster said, for your TV find out the supported codecs. If you're going to use your computer, then use mp4 container with h.264 video and audio of your choice.

Handbrake has some great presets as well.