Best firewall?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pkillpeers, Dec 2, 2014.

1. pkillpeers macrumors newbie

pkillpeers

Hello guys,

My first macbook pro is coming! i've spent the last week learning about MACOS, how to operate it, the best apps etc.

From my findings, i realize that i won't be needing an antivirus, however i see 2 groups of people talking about firewalls:

- Those who say the default firewall is enough.

- Those who say you need a better one (with outbound protection too).

My highest concern is the following situation:

- I am at a local coffeeshop with my laptop, just browsing the mail...the web etc (nothing to serious like banking ofc), and then someone decides to launch a Man-In-The-Middle attack.

Would a good firewall block this? not that i'm visiting websites i shouldn't, but everyone deserves some privacy. Also, i wouldn't like someone getting my passwords.

So, i would like to hear what you experts think about firewalls for mac, and advise me a good one. thanks. Btw, i saw some comments on little snitch, but i see it hasn't been updated a long time so...

Just to finish my post, i would like to share a story:

Some years ago (maybe 2....3 years), a big friend of mine was in town and we decided to grab a coffee.

Since he brought his mac, i asked him "hey, lets check how secure is your mac?".

Sure, so i was with my android phone and launched an app called "Dsploit" and ran password sniffer.

In less than 2 minutes, i got all the passwords from all his e-mail accounts.

Turns out, the issue was with a mail client called "sparrow". Everytime the app checked for new mails, i was able to catch all the passwords (maybe something to do with ssl?i don't know).

My friend doesn't use sparrow now, never got problems again (as far as i know).

So, this is the kind of situation i want to avoid

P.S: sorry my bad english. Cheers

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

OS X has it's own built in firewall. It's not enabled by default. Enable it via System Preferences/Security and Privacy.

3. Poncho macrumors 6502

Poncho

The fact that you say you were able to see your friend's email passwords shows you know it can easily be done using readily available software downloadable from the net.

Firewall won't help in the coffee shop situation. You need to use a VPN.

Little snitch is good. Shows you when and where your Mac is trying to connect to sites and places on the web. That is, outbound traffic. Little Snitch is not a VPN. Google for a VPN service. You can try some for free for a while.

I never use the Mac built-in Firewall myself or any Firewall for that matter. Just the one in my router.

4. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

In any public place you need a VPN. I like WiTopia's interface for Mac plus you get iOS support for mobile.

5. Alrescha macrumors 68020

6. pkillpeers thread starter macrumors newbie

pkillpeers

Hum, thanks a bunch for the replies. I once tried a VPN service. "mullvad", worked well on windows/linux. Didn't know that was able to hide from MIM attacks, that's great!
    I'll have a look at little snitch :D. thanks guys
    My mac is still entering a plane at shangai. According to UPS website. damn, arrival is expected 5 december (got delayed 1 day).
    i'm losing my hair with anxiety