Best FireWire external HDD?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Chris Welch, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Chris Welch macrumors 6502

Anyone have a recommendation? I wish they still sold the Seagate one. :(

2. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I usually recommend people buy an internal 3.5" HDD and then buy an enclosure that suits your needs. This is because it's cheaper and you can remove the HDD if it dies and just put another back in.

3. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

just got a 500gb seagate goflex 2.5"

not thrilled i had to pay $39 for their adapter to firewire but i'm pretty happy with it

and should apple ever decide to put in usb 3.0 i can just buy the adapter for that...

4. Hammer97e macrumors member

I just picked up a WD My Passport Studio from Best Buy which works pretty slick, USB and FW800. The e-ink display is a little bit of overkill, but it overall pretty nice.

link

5. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, I prefer to do this. Lately, though, it has been the enclosures themselves dying on me. I had a LaCie at work die and my old MiniStack at home died on me. To be fair, though, the MiniStack was pretty old. I like the enclosures from OWC. You can choose from a few different designs, and how many disks you want in the enclosure.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

although some may disagree, i've had good luck with lacie. i've gone through 7 of their drives over a long period of time. i currently have a 2TB and two 1TB D2 drives in a rack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. sentros macrumors member

I have one of these as well, or well almost. My HDD is the 1TB version. Thus far it's been working like a charm and prior to purchasing it I did some comparing and read some reviews and it was very fast in comparrison to other products. I can definitely recommend this product.

9. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I like and own the OWC enclosures also.