best flash diffuser?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rweakins, Jul 15, 2008.

1. rweakins macrumors 6502

rweakins

i have been looking for a flash diffuser and was wondering what people thought are the best ones. I have heard a lot about gary fong's work but i was just curious as to what other reviews i could get.

2. brendanryder macrumors 6502a

brendanryder

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

There is no "best". Which to use depends on the location and if you need to be walking around or if you are shooting from a tripod. And then if you are walking around do you have an 8 or 9 foot light colored ceiling or maybe you are inside a convention hall with a 50 foot dark ceiling. "best" also depends on the subject and how directional and hard or soft you want the light. So you have to specify the conditions. If you have the low ceiling and a close by back and side walls then it best to take advantage of these. You'd resort to a sto-fen or the like in a more open space. On a tripod then you can use a big sheets of white foam core or umbrellas

Buy a 1 quart or larger white plastic milk container, after it's empty cut the top off, point your strobe strait up and rubber band the empty white plastic jug to the strobe. Rig it so the flash illuminates the inside of the milk jug. Bigger jugs are better. This is the best defuser if measured in terms of "bang per buck". I'd say use that setup until you find something better.

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I like the Omni-Bounce for convenience reasons. It's easy to put on and off, light and doesn't get in the way when using the flash.

5. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

When I forget my diffuser, I usually have a couple of spare white notecards with rubberbands as a backup. Not as effective, but cheap, and extremely portable.

6. Col127 macrumors 6502

i've been reading that the gary fong lightspheres are the best. i'm probably going to pick one up myself :)

7. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Don't take this suggestion seriously please.

I have 5 words for you...

The Gary Fong Whale Tail.:cool:

8. seany916 macrumors 6502

+3 for the Stofen

Very convenient & I get better results than with index cards.

9. rweakins thread starter macrumors 6502

rweakins

do both the stofen and gary fong lightsphere II have pretty much similar results in the same situations?