Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
I have a working knowledge of flash and dreamweaver but i want a much deeper understanding of it. Just be better. I'm inclined to by a book but i don't know which one. I also know now there are online teaching sites. Has anyone used these, how they compare to books? And can anyone recommend books or something that has worked for them.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
lynda.com has some pretty good online lessons but I would recommend just going out and buying their DVDs.. I think they go for $150 per session but in my opinion worth it if you are new or intermediate, I have reviewed both the Flash CS3 Professional Essential Training and the ActionScript 3.0 in Flash CS3 Professional Essential Training. The benefit of the DVDs is that you can go back and watch over and over vs. online which is a monthly fee.

As for books, lynda might have some of the best self taught lesson style books but they hold little re-read value.

Also check out the Peach Pit Visual Quick Start Guides, highly recommended as they server well as 1. lesson based, not tutorial style like lynda, and 2. reference for later use.

Sadly, a lot of the CS3 books don't come out till September. Check out peachpit.com and lynda.com for info.. peach pit actually controls the publication of the lynda.com, adobe press and apple training books.

My advice is to get the DVDs or Books from lynda and then pick up a Visual QuickStart guide for reference.

Moock Coolins is also a good publisher to use for learning and referencing actionScript.

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
I second the combination of Lynda.com and Classroom In A Book (CIB) series. If you already have a working knowledge of DW and Flash then you could probably give the CIB series a miss and the Lynda.com books are excellent, I prefer to have the books rather than the dvd set.

Mac In School

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Another vote for Lynda.com - I've been a subscriber for years. I prefer to the subscription to purchasing DVDs. If one DVD course is $150, that's comparable to 6 months of online viewing of as many titles as you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.