Best flight prices

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cloroxbleach4, Jun 27, 2011.

1. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Hi,

I'm looking to get a flight to Vegas in August and trying to find the best prices for flights. I've done the typical Kayak and Priceline searches but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions to get cheap prices for flights. Any promo codes?

I've also looked at booking it through my AMEX card but the prices are pretty similar.

Thanks for the help.

2. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

I've booked hundreds of flights for work for a very fugal boss - aka lots of 5:40AM flights :)

Anyway, the best strategy is typically buying between 20 and 14 days before the flight. Use Kayak and Bing for help sorting flights. Bing is nice as it has a price indicator that is very accurate.

Neither Bing nor Kayak search Southwest flights, and they are often rather cheap depending on the cities. When I booked Vegas flights from Pittsburgh I would use Southwest or AirTran.

Good luck!

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I agree. Check Southwest, but they're not always cheaper. I booked a flight to Vegas in a few months, and Southwest was $200 more than Delta, who was the cheapest, both with a stop. Nonstop on SW was even more. So I booked the Delta flight, even with checked bag fees ($25 each way) it's still $150 cheaper than SW.

Also found that arriving at certain times is more expensive. My flight leaves STL at around 8 AM and I'll end up getting back into STL around midnight. Not the most convenient times, but that was also considerably cheaper than arriving later in the day and leaving earlier. The midnight arrival doesn't bother me (especially since my biological clock will be 2 hours behind on PST), but it's having to be at the airport at 6:30ish in the morning which I'm not looking forward to. But again, you have to ask yourself how much is the convenience worth to you? If you're like me and trying to go as cheap as possible, you'll get out of bed at the asscrack of dawn to save a couple hundred bucks.

Just give me my Diet Coke and Biscoff cookies as soon as possible after takeoff and I'll be happy ;)

4. cloroxbleach4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I think we've settled on Spirit airlines. I know that they don't offer anything for free, but it still is the cheapest price we could find plus it's a direct flight.