Best FM Transmitter

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Aries326, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Aries326 macrumors 6502

Ok, so I bought one of those Belkin TuneCast Auto With ClearScan for my iPhone and frankly, I think this thing is garbage. I can't even listen to an entire song straight through without the signal breaking up. I keep playing with all the settings, trying to find a new station to lock it into but then the station goes bad. Any tips? I need something for my road trip coming up. For $89, I'm probably better off putting that money into a new deck that is iPod/iPhone ready.

2. afterhours macrumors newbie

best fm transmitter

I've been really happy with the Sonnet equipment. Have an iFreq that worked well. I really think the antenna helps a lot.

There is the iLuv products, but I don't know how well they work. I also bought a $10 cigarette adapter that takes the generic 2.5 mm stereo patch cable -- it works almost as well as the iFreq, but with fewer options and doesn't charge the iPod. They are at Target.

I've been looking for a decent FM transmitter that is a little more powerful than the likes of the RocketFM (I'd like a range of more than 10 meters but under 100 meters) so I can run my home iTunes to more than one radio at a time. That's not your application, but it is what I'd like. Airport Express devices are very cool -- but I don't want to have to buy one for all three radios in the house.

3. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I have the old kensington liquid fm for the ipods, NOT the new one. The new one works like crap, I bought both and returned the crappier one (which was the newer one). I think its called liquid anyway, either way the new version is.

[​IMG]

This pic shows the one I have. You should give it a shot, its pretty much the best one I've heard so far, but it is a little pricey. I got it while I was still working at best buy on my discount lol, but since its discontinued (I think) you might be able to find it cheaper.

4. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i have the same one,, it works not great, but better than any other i ve had... nothing beats the aux-in cable, (you will just be spending an extra 20-50 bucks for a cheap deck that has aux ina nd it will be wayyyyyyyy better sound and all.. but i kwo sometimes (parents car, rental, road trip) its not viable....just anotehr option tho
    yeha i htink i saw some decks with the aux-in (not ipod ready, meaning you can t control the ipod with the deck) for 99 bucks at BB, you can install it yourself or get them to do it,, do rememebr you ll have to most liekly pay for a harness and kit (sometimes antenna cable as well depending on your car)

5. Sbrocket macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

I had one of those, too; used to use it with iPods. Plugged it into my iPhone, iPhone went poof. :mad:

Needless to say I'm glad I had AppleCare. Walked in the store with a phone that wouldn't start up or charge at all, walked out with a brand spanking new one. You may want to be careful using those, though, as the Apple Genius confirmed my notion that the iPod and iPhone dock connectors ARE NOT exactly the same. If you doesn't say "Made for iPhone" on it, don't use it - you'll eventually fry something. Same thing for carrying over Firewire chargers from old iPods. The dock connectors are nearly identical, I know, and they both fit in the same devices but some older devices aren't properly grounded for the iPhone.

6. JasonK macrumors member

Wow. Good to know, thanks for the FYI.
    To answer the question, I have not found one that works well where I live. I have tried many and none have that great of reception. Stay away from Kensington though. Everything I have ever owned that had their name was bad news.

7. rscott macrumors member

I use a Monster one designed for regular iPods and it works ok. You set it to any FM station and have three presets of your choice so it's easy to switch if one breaks up.

8. Sean7512 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, definitely want to echo the statement about the iPhone not having the same dock connector as the iPhone. I used to use the Monster iPod FM Transmitter/Car Charger, it completely fried the phone. Luckily, Apple gave me a new one! :)

I did just buy the Belkin FM Transmitter/Car Charger that is designed for the iPhone last night, and wow....it works great here! It does all matter to what the car is and the car's radio antenna position, etc. But while driving in my Equinox, the Transmitter is fairly high up, and my radio antenna is on the front of the car....it provides me with absolutely great sound, it does get a tad fuzzy while stopped at red lights though. I am extremely happy with it. If it isn't working well, I suggest you try to reposition the Transmitter to a different location.

Hope you get it sorted out!

9. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I had a FM transmitter for a while and I liked it. Unfortunately, it was stolen out of my car, so I decided to get a new deck. I got a JVC one that was iPod ready (with kit and everything) for about $150. It also has front aux input which is great when I drive somewhere with a friend who has something other than an iPod (or an iPod Shuffle) and s/he wants to listen to their collection. It's definitely worth the cost. The sound is as good as it can be, it charges it, you don't have to switch radio stations if you're driving a long distance. I'd definitely go for a new deck. :)

10. zmit macrumors regular

i am very interested in one of these
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=149006

i HATE FM transmitters with a passion, and have an AUX input for my headunit.

i recommend you just get a new head unit with aux in, than dealing with an fm transmitter...

by the way... what IS the difference between the iphone and ipod dock connectors?
    is there any wiring difference?

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

iRiver makes an almost identical one, which only costs $30 or $40, and I can confirm that it's the single best-sounding FM transmitter I've ever heard. And this is compared to a brand-new Belkin, like your own. My friend has the iRiver and I was annoyed when I heard how good it sounded, and at half the price.

12. iphonewiz macrumors regular

13. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

my car doesn't have an Aux line so I just took it out and split the wires so I could hook up a plug. Didn't take long (15 minutes, most of the work was taking and putting the radio back in) and cost me $5. Sounds great but my speakers suck so that'll be my next project

14. Aries326 thread starter macrumors 6502

Luckily for me I opened up the package carefully. I was able to return the transmitter. I'm going to buy a new stereo.