Best for BF3?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jesushavemercy, Jul 22, 2011.

1. jesushavemercy macrumors member

Hi

I have a macbook pro 13 2011 standard low end, I wish to play bf3 after release date. However, I dont think that it will work with this computer.
    Will we see a vidock for thunderbolt soon ? Or should I wait for the next gen imac and be a little bit late?

Thank you.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. jesushavemercy thread starter macrumors member

I have one, but I want to sell it because of the size, noise and heat and so on..
    I forgot to mention it.:cool:

4. Battlefield Fan, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Macs are not for serious gaming.
    Laptops are not for serious gaming.

No, this double negative does not equal a positive.

BF3 is a serious game. (hardware wise)

5. jesushavemercy thread starter macrumors member

Lets say.. medium graphics and full resolution on the next gen imac, shouldn't it perform well enough for bf3?

6. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

I'm interested in BF3 I have a 360 but what specs are required reccomeneded? From the trailers it looks very graphic itensive.

7. donuttakedonuts macrumors regular

Is this a real question?

8. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Nothing on the serious side. I forget exactly but ThunderBolt, even as high tech as it may seem, lacks the proper bandwidth(?) so you would not see a powerful TB external GPU.

It's hard to say what the next gen iMac will contain. Intel hasn't updated their CPU's and AMD hasn't announced their 7000 series GPU's. The current iMac was the Tick (the big upgrade) in the Tick-Tock phase.

Also, are you talking about the 21" or 27"? The 27" has way more pixels and will need something wayyy more serious to drive it in terms of the GPU.

9. VeganHipster macrumors regular

Better luck buying a mac pro if you want to game. You will be able to upgrade down the line when more demanding games come out.

10. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

if the heat is too much, get liquid cooling. this will also fix your noise issue. liquid is silent. Size honestly shouldn't matter. it is a desktop and greater size equals better cooling. if you don't want to go liquid cooling, go with high diameter fans so even if they spin at lower speeds, they will still cool more. if you still want to sell your gaming pc,then buy a console. you can't expect to even open up the main menu of BF3 on a 2011 13" macbook pro. it has integrated gfx and just won't happen.

no point in splurging for a mac pro just to game. he already said he has a gaming pc. what would buying a mac pro exactly accomplish?

11. VeganHipster macrumors regular

He said he was selling his gaming pc so I suggested that. You can get Mac Pros for really cheap on ebay and craigslist. He was already thinking of spending $1600+ for an iMac, so spending $1000 or so for a 2010 Mac Pro and a GPU is already better than an iMac and cheaper, considering upgrade costs and how you won't have to replace the whole machine when new games are coming out.

12. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

yes, would it not be even less of an hassle to not sell the pc in the first place? and as far as heat issues, i doubt a mac pro would really fix those. I suggest looking into water cooling for his gaming pc to reduce noise and heat as those were his main complaints.

13. VeganHipster macrumors regular

I agree with you on it being less of a hassle to not sell the PC. He seemed set on it though, I just recommended the Mac Pro, assuming he was still selling his gaming PC.

14. jesushavemercy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the answers! I will think a little bit more about it.. I was thinking about the 21 inch anyway.

Thanks

15. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

If you bought today I would recommend buying the $1,499 21" iMac since it has the faster GPU. You can upgrade the RAM in it at a later date for another bump in performance.

16. malman89 macrumors 68000

If only you could slap the 27" Radeon 6970 into a 21" iMac, you'd have a pretty viable Mac gaming rig at a decent price for now and the future.

The 6770, though, should run things at Medium details fairly well, based on its benchmarks for current 2011 games.

17. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

27" iMac would probably not be a good idea because anything lower than native looks crummy and I'm not sure the 6970M (unless you get the 2GB) would be able to drive the screen at max. You could probably get away with medium to high though..

I'm sure you'd be fine with a 6770M iMac or 6750M MacBook Pro at medium.

18. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

The low end 21.5" 2011 that I have runs Crysis via Bootcamp at medium settings with AA off pretty well. BFBC2 runs good too at medium to high settings, but with BF3 and the new Frostbite engine, I am inclined to say that you should get a gaming rig for it.

19. jesushavemercy thread starter macrumors member

20. ColdFlame87 macrumors regular

Honestly, why is this even being discussed? Macs are not for intensive gaming period. If gaming is what you want to do on your computer you're better off upgrading your PC with better parts, and using water cooling to reduce noise. If you absolutely must have a Mac, then buy a console and purchase BF3 for it when it comes out.

21. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

22. jesushavemercy thread starter macrumors member

You didn't read the first post, right?

23. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

You didn't read my response did you?

I went through the trouble of finding the article that talks about this and even made the exact words bold for you to easily find.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/06/27/example-of-an-external-dock-and-gpu-over-thunderbolt-technology/

Even in the Sony example it only allows a 6650M which is a mobile GPU that is already trumped by many of Apple's selected GPU's.

Sonnet's device, as mentioned on their webpage is really only for expansion cards. Plus it can only provide a limited amount of power to these devices; eliminating any high end graphics card that would require an actual power supply.

24. jesushavemercy thread starter macrumors member

Hm .. I was afraid of that. Well I think it stands between the current imac or the next macbook pro.

25. silas681, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

silas681 macrumors newbie

WOW, what a definite answer! Pity it is sooooo wrong. I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro 15" maxed out with all the trimmings. I play Battlefield Bad Company 2 exclusively on this machine, with a game rig I bought last year sitting gathering dust upstairs. This machine runs BFBC2 with most settings on High and some on Medium, running 1680 screen res. As most forums I have read say that if your machine runs BFBC2 then it will run BF3 with slightly lower settings.

Why on EARTH would you say that Macs are not for gaming? NOT well informed.

However, a 13inch MBP would probably struggle.

COME ON BF3!

http://www.newmacbookpro2011.org/macbook-pro-2011-17-gaming-battlefield-bad-company-2-must-see/