Best For... [CAD, Sketch Up, CS4 Standard etc.]

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ukMB, Oct 26, 2008.

?

Which One?

1. Maxed Out Low End MB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maxed Out High End MB

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Maxed Out Low End MBP

5 vote(s)
    17.9%
  4. Maxed Out High End MBP

10 vote(s)
    35.7%
  5. Something Else!

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  1. ukMB macrumors member

CAD, Sketch Up, CS4 Standard, Age Of Empires III, Sims 2, other PCB things, iWork, iLife etc
    Thanks

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Maxed 15" MBP has my vote, powerful graphics, powerful CPU, a large screen to work with. The 17" is nice but weaker in the graphics department, but if your CAD software is entirely CPU bound then it might make a better option.

Do you need the portability? Is that why you're focusing on the laptops?

3. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Does it have to be portable? Does it have to be a Mac? If it has to be a Mac, I'd get a 2.66 GHz iMac with lots of RAM and HD space. If it has to be portable, definitely get a MBP, though I don't think it necessarily has to be maxed out. Definitely get max RAM and lots of HD space, though I think a 2.8 GHz processor is overkill, a 2.53 GHz one would probably be enough.

4. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

A laptop is probably best as I will take to school and when I go abroad.

I wont upgrade any CPU's
    Thanks

Quite a few people voted low end MBP do they mean 2.4GHz or 2.53GHz as they think 2.8GHz is high end?
    thanks

5. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Well, I guess an iMac is out of the question, which is what I would do. I would probably get the top of the line MBP with the 250 GB 7200 rpm HD (it costs less and with the $50 you save you could put the money to a nice external for extra room/backup).

6. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

What about a low end MB and a low end iMac?
    Thanks

7. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Do you have $2500 dollars you can spend like that? If so, get the base line 2.53 GHz MBP; it costs the same amount and keeping info between two computers is a hassle. Besides, the CPU in the MBP I just suggested is more powerful than either the MB or the iMac you suggested.

8. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

I think the 2.53GHz is better. does cache effect Games, CAD, Sketch Up etc?
    Thanks

9. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Well, the bigger your cache, the better the computer runs (I think...that makes sense, right?). Also, in the MBP, you get more memory standard and a better graphics card. I say get the MBP if you can afford it.

10. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

It's on parents and the MBP is. Plus theres no extra money for upgrading! Will it run CAD, CS4 and Sketch Up fast?
    Thanks

11. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Well, as long as you have the Mac version of CAD, CS4 and Sketch Up it will run them fine and then some. That computer is very powerful (though I don't envy your parents for having to pay for that). This is probably off topic, I just would like to know; how old are you? Is this for college, or are you just a high school student? Not that there's anything wrong with being in high school, you should just realize that your future computer will last you for quite a few years.

12. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

I have a windows version of CAD which I will run through VMware. Mac CS4 and Sketch Up.
    This computer is for 6th Form (A levels) and then a bit of uni (plan to do forensics)
    Thanks

13. 204467 macrumors 6502a

I advise NOT running CAD through VMware. Running a virtual desktop takes enough resources as it is, do you really want to be rendering without the full power of the computer? Run it through Boot Camp, it may be a little inconvenient, but you will be much happier with how it performs in CAD.

14. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

Okay thanks for that. Will use bootcamp, is that just XP (not using vista!) so no Mac OS?
    Thanks

15. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

That is correct. You have to reboot to go in between them.

16. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

Okay thats great!
    Getting 2.53GHz MBP!

17. 204467 macrumors 6502a

What are you talking about? Bootcamp alows for duel booting; if you set up Bootcamp, a portion of your HD is partitioned to create a section on which you install XP or Vista. By the way, don't be so quick to run away from Vista, it's not a bad OS now the computer you are hoping to buy will have no problem running it. As for OSX, the part of your HD that remains is untouched and still runs OSX; the best part is, once you install Windows, the side with OSX is unchanged, all of your files and settings remain intact.

EDIT: Never mind, I misunderstood you. No, Bootcamp does not allow for the OS's to run side by side, though Windows will run at native speed, which you will definitely want for CAD.

18. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

Okay, What version of windows do I use? 32 or 64 bit?
    Thanks

19. 204467 macrumors 6502a

My know-how on this is quite shaky; in other words, I have no idea. I think 64 bit is better, but why I don't really know.

20. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

lol. I'll ask my dad he loves windows (pity him!)
    Thanks
    is Microsoft Office better than iWork?
    Thanks

21. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Well, Excel is much better than Numbers, simply because it has been around longer. I don't know about Pages vs. Word, I've heard that Pages is quite good, though I love Word (never used Pages). Now, Keynote of course is quite good and many will agree that it blows PP out of the water. Then again, some of the transitions do not work on a computer without Pages installed, even if it has been converted correctly. I would get Office, since it is the standard everywhere, even if it is a little more expensive. Get it from Amazon and get it at a discount.

22. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

Okay. Ill use both trails. Do the MBP come with them still?
    Thanks

23. 204467 macrumors 6502a

What exactly do you mean by "both trails"? Do you mean to install both and see how they are? That's actually a good idea, though you'll still have to buy iWork, since only iLife is pre-installed on any Mac (unless you order it special, in which you still have to pay for iWork). Is that what you meant by the "MBP com[ing] with them still"?

24. ukMB thread starter macrumors member

The older versions used to come with 30 day trails along with iLife etc

25. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Oh, yeah. iLife comes installed, a trial of iWork is available here, and a trial of Office comes on the computer.

P.S. Thanks for changing the title, Blue Velvet (if you're listening). I really hate unspecific thread titles.