Best for imaged editing :?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jonnyboy0, Dec 30, 2009.

1. jonnyboy0 macrumors newbie

jonnyboy0

Hey

Im looking for an decent image editor for my macbook, preferably free or lost cost. I have already tried gimp, but wasn't that fussed on it n currently have seeshore & livebrush installed. I am looking for an editor that will enable me to create buttons & images with transparency / shapes etc etc. On my windows machine i have paint.net installed & would be hopefully aiming to find something along those lines for my mac...

Your help will be appreciated

Jonnyboy0...

2. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

Why exactly don't you like the GIMP? Your writing is quite hard to decipher.

3. jonnyboy0 thread starter macrumors newbie

jonnyboy0

I used gimp for a while n there was the whole issue with the way the interface was laid out :p Found it to annoying to use compared to seashore or any of the others...

4. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

That's just how the X11 windowing system works. The GIMP and X11 itself has quite a learning curve but you gradually get used to it and wonder how you lived without it.

Just a question, you know you can't quit the GIMP from the dock, right?

5. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

Useful for little drawings or doodles but it's a joke for anything else.

6. rk1991 macrumors regular

i kinda didnt like gimp that much either and i was looking around for a replacement software and came across pixelmator for $59..can anyone who has used/owned pixelmator give a little input about the program.

7. Forsaken macrumors regular

Forsaken

Pixelmator is quite nice from the like 5 minutes I demoed it.

For free software w/o a steep-as-Mt.-Everest learning curve, I recommend Seashore. Not up to GIMP snuff but great for basic editing.

8. jonnyboy0 thread starter macrumors newbie

jonnyboy0

Having to use gimp through x11 is ok, but i would rather have a program that can run through itself

9. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Pixelmator is great! Not as advanced as Photoshop but it's enough for the average person. Well worth the price, feels very mac like to, the GUI is truly amazing.