Best for my needs...?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andruw000, Feb 25, 2011.

1. andruw000 macrumors newbie

I will try to keep this short.

I'm typing on a Macbook 1,1 that I purchased back in June, 2006. It has 2GB of ram and a 2.0 Core Duo processor. I'm using about 60/80gigs of hard drive space. Needless to say, it's time to upgrade.

I am a teacher and take my computer to work with me everyday, so portability is somewhat important and I am used to working with a 13" computer. I spend most of my time using MS Office and browsing the internet. I also play Starcraft (the original, not 2) and it lags quite a bit on my current Macbook. I do not use my optical drive.

What would you all recommend between an Ultimate 13" MBA, new MBP 13" (w/ SSD, either model) or the new base 15" MBP (w/ SSD)?

I'd really like to have an SSD. Can I play the original Starcraft on all three of those models with any lag? I would like my new computer to last me at least 4-5 years. I know the 15" seems like overkill for my needs, but it's important to me that this purchase lasts me a long time. Thanks for your help.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBA would be fine for your needs. It's more portable which is nice if you need to take it with you everyday.

3. andruw000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Hellhammer.

What about the really old processor? If it's old now, how will it hold up over the next 3-5 years? This is my only concern for the Air, otherwise I probably wouldn't have waited for these SB models over the last four months.

Also, how would gaming compare between the current 13" MBA and the new 13" MBP?

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

The 2010 MBA is far superior to the first MBA when it comes to gaming, but the MBA's C2D isn't best suited for gaming in the first place.

5. orangepeel macrumors member

I don't think a macbook air with it's anemic core2duo ulv with low clock speed is going to last 4-5. There is no reason starcraft a game that came out in the 90's should lag on your current macbook pro, it has nothing to do with your computer's speed.

I would recommend the low end 13" mbp, which should be around 2.5x-3x more powerful than the air. Just buy a ssd drive from newegg, and install it.

6. antster94 macrumors 6502a

antster94

I also have the same needs as you and am not sure what to buy either. I want a decent processor for gaming but also want a gorgeous screen and a good graphics card. That's leading me to look at a 15" though I think portability there isn't adequate. Hmm, decisions.