Best for under $1k used?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iheartart, Jan 29, 2014.

1. iheartart, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

iheartart macrumors newbie

I will be in the market for a new-used macbook pro soon.

I'd like the best I can get used for under $1k (closer to $800 is better). I'd love a brand new one, but I don't have the money.

I want 15" screen because I like to work on a larger screen.

I do print & web design for a living. I'd like to put the latest OS or at least latest Adobe CS on it.

I currently have a 2006 15" macbook pro with snow leopard & only CS4, so long overdue for a new laptop.

What's the best I can probably find if I get a decent deal but with reasonable expectations?

---

EDIT: I think this was supposed to be in the buying forum, which I just saw now. Sorry.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you should be able to get an early 2011 15" for that I quickly googled and seen a few on ebay in that range

3. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

Just be careful of those faulty GPUs. Your $800 machine could easily turn into a $1,400+ machine if it needs a need logic board.

4. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I bought a mid 2010 15" for $650 locally, and then moved my RAM and SSD + HDD over. So if you go for a 2010 you could upgrade to 8GB RAM and get an SSD. I also bought a second for someone else for $705 on eBay. Both are in near perfect condition.

I really considered a 2011 because of Sandy Bridge, but the GPU failures were a put off. And the 2010 is perfectly speedy, and I use it pretty heavily.

If you're interested, the guy I've worked with on eBay is macapples215. He's got a number of models for sale and tests them and will stand by them. There's a 2010 15" i5 with 8GB RAM there now.

5. mofunk macrumors 68020

mofunk

I have a Refurb 2008 MBP 2.53GHz 4GB RAM with CS4 on it that's about 2yrs old. It's actually my 2nd one..Apple replaced the 1st one because the screen flickered. They gave me a jacked up MBP which I had to take back three times to repair. :mad:

all that aside I would spend a little more if you can find it because your gonna need more processing speed. My MBP is little slow with PS but other CS Apps are fine. Lightroom is slowing too, but not too bad to work around. I would definitely try to find a 2010-12 MBP and maybe spend up to $1500.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I think if the GPU issue is widespread like it was with the nvidia chip they will do the same thing and replace defective ones

7. rapicell macrumors regular

If you trust ebay enough, you can easily get a 2015 15'' if you're willing to auction hunt. I did and snagged one (in almost mint condition and it had a brand new apple replacement battery) for just over 900 after shipping

8. iheartart thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want my hopes up too much...but this is ideal.

I've seen some similar models at similar prices still under an apple care warranty, but not sure what the extended warranty covers & does not cover, or if it's transferrable to a new owner (?).

9. accountforit macrumors 6502a

Warranties follow the computer; not the owner.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'm not that confident that they will extend repairs beyond the 3 year mark, which many of them are hitting at this point. Those repair programs always have a cutoff, and for the OP such a purchase would be day one for him with that machine. Its previous use since 2011 or 2012 means nothing there. It could be newer than that if he buys one that someone purchased refurbished after that point, but I doubt they would be going out of their way to save money buying the older refurbished only to sell within 2 years or so.

11. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

I actually have a 2010 macbook pro 15 inch for sale that has a 500gb seagate momentus for sale with 8gb of ram and i had the logic board replaced due to the recall that apple had on it so thats brand new, it has the core i5 that runs at 2.53ghz, PM is you're interested