Best format for editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by KettyKrueger, Jan 29, 2009.

1. KettyKrueger macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Hey All

My Samsung camcorder (model escapes me, (1080i)) records in .mp4 format but iMovie (all versions) struggle to play the video smoothly (using video skimming) so I'm sure I need to convert it to a more friendly format.

Anyone got any suggestions? I've got MPEG Streamclip so some ideal settings would useful!

I'm after no quality loss, so size is irrelevant.

Thanks.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Since you are using iMovie convert it into the Apple Intermediate Codec.

Lethal

3. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

I agree. Plus, if you try converting HDV 1080i footage for use with DVD (MPEG-2) later it looks terrible. Converting your HDV footage using Apple's Intermediate Codec resolves both these problems.

4. mhokie macrumors newbie

The problem is that the codec Samsung camcorders use is a proprietary form of AVI. I had a Samsung camcorder ant taking the footage off was a real pain. I would suggest if possible trying to return it because the conversion process diminishes the quality quite a bit.

5. KettyKrueger thread starter macrumors 6502

KettyKrueger

Are you sure it's .avi? Is .mp4 is form of .avi?

6. hazmatzak macrumors regular

No, they are two different container formats. There's generally no reason to customize the file format, but the codec used to encode the video (and/or audio) in the container is sometimes proprietary, or simply unsuitable for editing.

Unfortunately, "mp4" means several different things. It is possible to use an MPEG-4-derived codec in an AVI.

7. JamesDV macrumors newbie

What's the best rendering format for Final Cut Express to youtube? I usually use mp4.