Best format to archive video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Jim61, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Jim61 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice on the best way to store video files for future use. Currently I have DV files (edited, back to the camera and then captured again) and the same files converted to DVD. DVD is probably not going to be a good format for future use so I was thinking of converting all the DV files to MP4 and then deleting the DV and DVD files. This way I can use the MP4 files to create a DVD, Blu Ray or whatever I want in order to view the videos. I know hard drive space is cheap but I'd really like to streamline my back ups and keep it simple.

Thanks for any advice that you can give me.

Best regards,

Jim.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Keep your DV files as DV. You never make archive files that are inferior in quality to the source material.

And keep two copies of everything in different geographical locations. If both copies are in your house and, heaven forbid, your house burns down making that 2nd set does you no good.

Lethal

3. Jim61 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your advice Lethal. You are of course correct. I have 5 back ups, 2 of which are offsite.

I have deleted my DVD files saving about 60 Gb and will just keep the edited DV.

Having solved that issue I have another question that you may be able to help me with. With my newer HD video I have been making a Blu Ray disc image with FCPX as my end result. In the stream folder there is a .mts file that I can open with VLC. I'm assuming that I can use it if I want some other format other than BR. What is the best format to keep HD in as an archive. Should I be making an MP4 file that I can then use to author a BR disc? I don't want to keep all the original HD video.

Thanks once again.