Best format to edit Video, Using adobe After effects or Premiere CS4

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Justindustries, May 28, 2010.

1. Justindustries macrumors newbie

Hey,

This is my first post so I hope I'm doing everything right. There are already some clues on this question in other topics, but there is not a real topic about this.
    I have a Canon hf200 and the video's that come of standard are mts files. 1080i 25fps, or 50i.
    With Imovie09 I make .Mov files out of them. Now if I try to edit those files in premiere or After effects. The playback becomes very laggy. I have Mpeg streamclip pro, But what is the best format to convert my .mov's to to keep as much quality as possible but make it easy to edit my videos. Eventually I want my vids to Play on youtube on HD with 1080 if possible.
    Thanks allot guys.

2. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

iMovie 09 is converting your footage to AIC (Apple Intermediate Codec). I'm not sure how Premiere and After Effects like that codec.

What kind of computer are you using to edit. What specs?

3. Justindustries thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Well your machine seems like it should be able to keep up with 1080p playback... ideally you'd be editing in Apple Prores or DVCPROHD. AIC is basically the older, consumer version of Prores. If you're still seeing choppy playback in those formats, you may just need a faster computer.