Best format to rip DVD/bluray for Synology media server?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by macdot, Jan 11, 2014.

1. macdot macrumors 6502

I think this is the best place to ask this...

I want to convert my DVDs and blurays to digital to play off a Synology. I know the basics for ripping video, but I would like to find a format that will preserve audio tracks and subtitles/captions without taking up the space of a full ISO rip. Is there anything that will fit these needs?

2. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

MP4? Or if you have a lot of space and not too many movies-- MKV

3. blanka macrumors 68000

For Blu-Ray: just extract the disc with MakeMKV. My experience is that the little extra size is no problem, and that recompressing with for example Handbrake is a really time consuming thing. Just select the appropriate audio track, I usually keep just the main feature with DTS-HD MA. Many BR's end up being like a 10-15GB MKV file, and that is OK for me.

I stopped bothering about DVD. It is such an idiot format, people who invented it should be ashamed. Using a CRT interlaced orientated format in today's world makes no sense.

4. ohio.emt macrumors 6502a

Yes, because everybody had a progressive monitor in 1995

5. afd macrumors 6502a

I got a DS213J last week, finding that it has a steep learning curve, lots of settings and privelages to play with. I already had about 500GB of videos that I copied to it, a mixture of videos recorded from eyeTV and DVD rips. Storing them on the Synology and playing them on Apple TV through home sharing on iTunes on my iMac works fine, but have had mixed results Airplaying from the ios app to the Apple TV. Not all videos play on the Apple TV through iOS DS Video app and those that do seem choppy. They play fine on the ios device even over 3G.

6. macdot thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, blu-ray has been a breeze. Unfortunately I'll still be dealing with DVD as long as things are unreleased on blu-ray.