Best forum software?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by ghall, Feb 10, 2008.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm working on a website for a school project and I need to know what kind of forum software is the best to use. I can't decide between PHPBB or Simple Machines. Also, is there anything better? (preferably free)

And yes I want to host the forums on my own webspace. I've researched how to do it, I just don't know which one to go with.

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

vBulletin is the best (same as used here) but it is not free.

3. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

phpBB is one of the big free ones, but I've used Simple Machines Forum (also free) since way back, and have been generally happy with it.

Worth a look, at least.

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

vBulletin is out of my price range, so I decided to go with phpBB. How can change it so that it matched with the rest of my website?

6. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

You can download themes/skins for phpbb. Here is a link to get you started. Also, do a search on google for phpbb skins. Once you choose one that has the layout style you like, you can alter the graphics to match your color scheme. Just make sure the author of the skin you download doesn't have a problem with alterations. Good luck.

7. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Okay, I switched to Simple Machines Forums because phpBB was really starting to get on my nerves (setting permissions was overly-complicated).
    So yeah, I want to get the tabs that are on the top of the rest of the website onto the forum page. Any ideas?

8. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Older versions of Invision Board (1.3) I think they can be had for free.

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

Well, my suggestion would be to find a simple template (at least in the past, SMF's classic template was pretty good for this), then go in and edit the topmost section to add whatever sort of menu you use to it. You can of course do this to more involved templates, but the simpler the template the easier it usually is to figure out where you want to add stuff.

Alternately you could go the old-school route and just use a frameset, with a small top (or side) frame holding your site navigation, and the main frame with the forum. This of course has issues, but in a pinch (or as a temporary solution while you work out templating), it can work.

10. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

11. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

OK, so I did what you said, and after a little playing around I got this. Thoughts?

12. jng macrumors 65816

jng

13. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

I agree, but I want to get the forum matching the rest of the site for right now before I worry about that. :p

14. Matteh117 macrumors regular

I prefer IP.Board (formerly IPB). This isn't free, but as said above the older versions (IPB v1.3) was released for free.. just not sure how to get hold of it.

The free forum sites use IPB v1.3.

If you really want to host your own and not pay, I'd got for phpBB... looooaaads of modifications for it.

15. Christiene macrumors newbie

phpBB, Vbulletin, SMF

I think those three are on top of the list for forum scripts.

16. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

phpBB is just wwaaaaay to buggy and easily exploitable.

punBB isn't bad, but vBulletin is the spiffingist. ;)

17. ajx22 macrumors regular

If you're running FREE software - you can expect to be hacked.

I've experienced this with pretty much every FREE forum software that exists.

vBulletin is by FAR the best; and most secure. I've utilized vB on my sites for the last 10 years; and wouldn't use anything else.

As far as look - that's all easily skinned (either custom or purchased).

Note that vB 3.7 just launched; and is absolutely fantastic...moving most everything to AJAX so takes the load off the server.

If you're planning to be serious with your forum - then start with vB now - as I promise you it's MUCH easier then trying to port the databases over to vB later once you've been exploited, etc.

~ Aloha ~

18. macgruder macrumors 6502

19. Guisbar macrumors newbie

phpBB is highly popular simply because of the huge user base, large library of modifications and enhancements and it's free.
    VBulletin is also quite popular paid software too, with mods available.
    Demo : free forums

20. BayouBengal macrumors regular

vBulliten is indeed the best in my opinion but alas it's not free. I used phpBB a few years ago on my site and I really liked it. Plus it's free.

21. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    May I say that vBulletin sucks compared to IPB? Just give each a run, and then come back. IPB 3.0 is HEAVEN. But vB is cheaper, so it might be more widely spread...

22. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

I hate IPB. In my opinion from a user not an admin PHPBB is better. I can hardly find the submit button in IPB.