best free-after-rebate printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VintageMac, Jul 4, 2010.

1. VintageMac macrumors regular

I plan to order a 13" MacBook Pro under the educational discount tomorrow for my college-bound daughter. Any suggestions between these $99. printers. I will likely keep this one at home for occasional color use. I have a b/w all-in-one laser for most of my printing needs. This will be connected to our Airport so wireless is not important, right? I'd prefer one with cheaper ink cost. Has anyone already done the research on this? These are the current $99. printers available from Apple--

HP Photosmart C4780 All-in-One Wireless
    Canon PIXMA iP4700 Premium Inkjet Photo Printer
    Canon PIXMA MP490 All-In-One Photo Printer
    Epson Stylus NX420 all-in-one Wireless

Two other questions--
    a) Is there any dis/advantages to buying from Apple online vs. retail store?
    b) I'm assuming the educational discount offer is not available on refurbs, right?

Vintage

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Not that I can think of. You'll still get the same service. I guess if you prefer bricks-and-mortar shops instead you'll want to go to the retail store, but shopping online would be easier. It's just delivery might be an issue.

Yes, I think so, if you take a look at the advertising/promotion for it it says 'When you buy a new Mac for college' or something along those lines.

3. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Maybe, if the tax rate is different where the apple store versus where you live. On my laptop purchase recently, it added up to around $12 more at the store because the tax was 6.85% compared to 6.3%. Check out the tax rates at the apple store versus shipping to your home.

4. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

We just got the 13" MPB for my wife and went with the Canon MP 560, it's all-in-one printer (and we Love Canon products), AND it's WIFI!!! Only cord is the power cord. Sells for $150, so it costs you $50 after rebate. Really nice quality printing so far.

5. dougeb macrumors newbie

I got the HP C4780, but 802.1 g wifi too slow, so connected to Airport Extreme USB port. I suggest getting a printer with n speed wifi.

6. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Connecting a printer to an AirPort using USB works pretty well from my experience.

I'm pretty sure these don't exist.

7. BIS2 macrumors regular

Often the stores only have 3-4 printers in stock, or they may even be out of the cheap ones. Once you pick one it's worth it to call first to find out.